Hello! I occasionally use Ibuprofen. I use it usually when I have headache or toothache and it helps. Actually, I have never used it for a longer period of time, but I always have it at home. I never give it to my son since he is five years old. I usually give him paracetamol when needed since I heard that ibuprofen can damage your kidneys. Is this possible?

Hello! Painkillers, which are available without prescription such as ibuprofen, aspirin, acetaminophen, etc., are usually very safe when taken in recommended dosage. So, there is no need to worry if you take Ibuprofen from time to time to treat your pain. It presents no danger to your health. But, you have to know that some conditions can increase the risk for kidney damage when taking some of these drugs regularly over a longer period of time. Since Ibuprofen is excreted only through the kidneys this is the reason for potential problems. If acute kidney failure happens it requires dialysis which will clean the blood and normal kidney function will return. Of course, more serious and chronic conditions are also possible such as disease called analgesic nephropathy which results in irreversible kidney failure.

A man from Harrison, AR had a kidney transplant from his dad because he used ibuprofen every day....