My boyfriend has been infected by herpes simplex virus so I guess I'm helping him with some questions here. Which medication should he use? Which is better against cold sores – Denavir or Zovirax? He is not do fond of the doctors so I guess this is the best way for me to help him.

Well, why is he so certain this is herpes simplex? Maybe he had it before, so he recognized the symptoms. Whatever the case, he should go to a doctor, taking medications on his own is not such a smart thing. As for those two meds you mentioned, they are both antiviral drugs and they work by stopping the reproduction of the virus.

Studies have shown that denavir works better than zovirax, though Zovirax comes in pill form and may be more convenient to take.
He should ask his doctor which one is better for him.
Both work well though, from what I have heard to help cold sores. Neither will cure him.