How much distance is there between the tips of your fingers and your toes when you stretch?

Me? In the AM when I wake up it's almost 11" from my finger tips to the floor. I can get closer to 5" after a long bike ride though. I've got a spot in my back that doesn't like to bend very well. Even in my younger days, I could never touch the floor.

Hmm. PH, this looks a little familiar.

In the mornings, I am a couple of inches from my toes. In the afternoons, I can get the tips of my fingers on the floor.

I know a girl that can palm the floor with no effort or warm-up. I thought she was able to do that even with her legs crossed! She had some other issues though. Just about every story out of her started with: "One time at church camp..."

Sorry if I just blew up the thread, but that is the truth.

I'll admit to thread pillaging, but I was thinking about this before I saw that other post.

I'm super inflexible and really need to work on it. I'm not sure that I'll ever be able to touch the floor, but I'd like to be able to get a lot closer.

When I first get up in the morning, I can at least get fingertips to the floor. After my morning yoga tape (a whoppin 20 minutes, real easy stuff) I can pretty close to palm the floor. I stretch a LOT.

PH, when i was in HS we had football camp in aug. - 3 practices a day for two and half weeks. During the first week of practice we would stretch for 30 minutes. The first day, regardless of off season conditioning, i could not touch toes without bouncing (a no no). By the end of the week - no problem.

I think consistency is what you need - every morning, take some time to stretch and with time perhaps you will touch the floor.

In my exercise physilogy classes I have tested off the charts for flexibility :D

Hey PH, I was just thinking about this topic and you this morning when I was running. Something about some of your injuries and so on.
Anyway, always try to warm up before you stretch, like Genie does with the yoga tape. And, if you can, get someone to stretch you. Someone who knows about anatomy and physiology. Maybe a massage therapist who does sports massage or rehab massage or even PNF. Having someone else stretch you works wonders!

I can touch the floor before warm ups, and palm the floor afterwards - even with my beer gut. I have a bad back as well, but it only affects bending backwards.

I am a human pretzel.

I can palm the floor from standing up. Backbends, splits, you name it, I can twist into it.

Most of that is natural (I guess that's debatable ), but yoga works wonders, too. I highly recommend it.

Very good point. A lot of our running injuries can be attributed, in part at least, to inflexibility. Isn't it also true that running (and lifting) shortens the muscles or something to that effect, and that it is doubly important for athletes to stretch properly after a workout to counteract that?

I know there are several good yoga tapes out there specifically for runners and athletes as opposed to classical yoga. The extra time is worth the benefit you get from it, trust me!

I agree with the stretching and the yoga. Even if it didn't do c**p for you other than just give you the feeling they give you they'd be soooo worth it... you've got to try Yoga to understand, right, G? Yoga gives you a new lease on life.

It really is great for your mental state.....a terrific stress buster, you can actually feel it evaporating from your body, like when you cool off from sweating......and I think it helps me focus better at other things too.

Yea, yoga is cool. It's great if the room is a little hot; you can feel the heat coming out of your joints; pretty bizarre feeling.

I recommend "Yoga for Flexibility" with Patricia Walden. Yoga has helped with a lot when I remember to do it on a regular basis.