Will Yoga help my flexibility. They Y at work has a Yoga class but I am to chicken to try it out since my flexibility sucks!

I am pretty sure it will help me I just need to find the time to get in there and try the class out.

I'm sure it won't hurt your flexibility. I picked up a Rodney Yee yoga tape about a year ago and tried it a few times. I got discouraged very quickly. That guy is super flexible and I'm on the very opposite end of the scale. I couldn't even come close on some of the positions.

I have the yoga for inflexible people dvd. I have found time to use it yet, but it starts with the real basics to help those of us with living rigor mortis ease into yoga.

Yes it will help. You have to start somewhere. I one tape I have I can't even get to the starting position

I've seen that one although I am fortunate enough not to have needed to start with it. A good one for you men especially, who seem to be a lot less flexible than us wimmins.

I am a yoga devotee from way back and a big Rodney Yee fan! It really does help in a lot of areas if you can stick with it. Get to be comfortable with the breathing and you'll see a big difference in your everyday life--your posture improves, you have less overall stiffness, especially for those of us planted on our butts in a chair all day long, you have more energy because your oxygen flow is greater, and truly, it just makes you feel better. I find I can settle myself down (sometimes) a little easier if I just do some of the deep breathing exercises when I get stressed, helps a LOT in traffic. But it really seemed to help with the running injuries and I use yoga stretches after a workout now instead of the classic running ones and can see a difference in post workout soreness.

[/end endorsement]

If you have access to a yoga studio w/ props (blocks & straps), it's better for easing into poses that require more advanced flexibility. It's important in Yoga to be very patient with your body, and not force it into positions it's not ready to try. That's why props can sometimes be helpful. It helps "extend" your limbs so that you can get into a particular alignment, without forcing you to reach your toes or wrap your arm completely around your body.

I would suggest talking to a yoga instructor. S/he could guide you into the postures & adjust your body to get the alignment right.

-p

I do the Power Yoga for Runners, and it's been an asset to my running and learning to relax.

For you, you may also want to check out pilates. What I like about yoga is the emphasis on breathing techniques. Honestly, it has made a difference for me on race day. It helps with neves and breathing.

I thought about trying the Pilates class that they Y offers but I think the time the offer it isn't very convenient for my work and running schedule. I think after the marathon I will look at revamping my workout schedule to get more cross-training in.

do it, do it, do it!!!

i can tell a differece in my flexability with just one class. the first few poses are usually sightly difficult, but as the class progresses, i impress even myself with how flexable i can be

but its fun and you should at least try it once... but if you dont like it at the Y, try it someother places too, ive seen several different instructors and each is very different...

have fun!