I decided that this would be the month that I focused on stretching because I've got a terrible case of living rigor mortis.

I came up with an 8 minute routine that I do after every run/ride and it has really helped cut down on the soreness/stiffness.

Here's what I've been going.

:30 toe touch ('cept I can't reach that far. )
:30/leg quad stretches
:30 calf stretches.
:30/leg IT Band stretches
:30 wide stance floor touches
repeat
1:00 butterfly stretches

I'm really inflexible and if I didn't stretch, then I probably couldn't move 8O .

Typical routine after each run is:

Quad
Hamstring
Calf 1 - gastroc
Calf 2 - soleus
Hip flexor
ITB
Adductor
Pecs/shoulder/scap

I hold each stretch for at least 30 seconds, and do two per side. Yes it takes forever, but helps keep me injury free most of the time. I also do toe taps most days, and plantar rolls.

calf stretch (gastroc) 6 X 30sec
hamstring 6 X 30sec
ITB 3 X 30sec
hip flexor 6 X 30sec
adductor 6 X 30sec
piriformis stretch 3 X 30sec

both sides. Twice a day.

Taking that much time to stretch is a pain in the butt, but so's piriformis and sciatica.

I also do toe taps most days, and plantar rolls.

What's a plantar roll? Sounds interesting.

Sort of like a filled roll, only different :P .
I roll a large candle (most people use a tennis ball, but my dog kept thinking I was playing and the game was to try and steal it from me) under my foot - keeps the dreaded plantar fasciitis at bay 8) .

One of the great thing I have learned at PT. With the help of my stretch rite band, I have rediscovered the lost art of stretching.

I do everything 2 x :30 seconds first on one leg, then the other leg. IT band Modified hurdlers stretch Pretzel - stretches the glutes Quads Calf - gastroc then soleus Have also recently had my roommate stretch my hamstrings and glutes. Ouch! Looking at everyone's routine, the order is different. Rache, or anyone else, have you learned anything, or know anything about a specific order for stretching like for lifting? I've not and am curious if anyone else has.

Looking at everyone's routine, the order is different. Rache, or anyone else, have you learned anything, or know anything about a specific order for stretching like for lifting? I've not and am curious if anyone else has. I do the stretches in the order I listed because the PT who told me to do 'em said do 'em in that order. I'd be interested in hearing what other people think about a specific order for stretching.

I do the stretches in the order I listed because the PT who told me to do 'em said do 'em in that order. I'd be interested in hearing what other people think about a specific order for stretching.
I would hazard a guess that most people will come up with this same answer. I do mine in the order I listed because it flows best for me. Maybe I'll have to do some research on this.

No, I have never come across any credible research about the specific order of stretches. However I have never thought about whether I do them in an specific order, but mostly I follow the same pattern, and I'll often do some additional stretches for an area that feels tight. Thinking about it, I guess the routine comes down to flow for me too. I do the standing leg stretches and then move on to the floor ones.
One comment I would make is that if you stretch immediately after hard exercise, you may experience the head spins when getting up from the floor 8O .

I do 3 yoga tapes per week, and one on the weekend if I'm feeling like I want it. Yeah, baby, I want it.

That's usually enough for me, because ever since the Couch to 5k back in the day, I've always done a 5-minute warm-up brisk walk, and a 15 minute cool-down walk.

Good question! I used to be like Gumby, regarding my ability to stretch. Anyway, running has challenged my flexibility. We all thought my stretching abilities were pretty cool around here (my daughter thought it was funny; my husband just thought it was plain awesome, lol), so I ve been concentrating on my flexibility. I hold my stretch for a maximum of 30-60 seconds, release some of the tension, and then repeat about 8 times. Repetition really helps. When you stretch, it helps to be warm to loosen those muscles: this is why dancers wear leg warmers. I never bounce when I stretch: that will hurt your muscles and tendons. I used to stretch before running, now I do either biking or some aerobic exercises before stretching and save my long stretch (10-15 minutes) for after running. If I feel like my legs are still tight during a run, I have no problem stopping and stretching. As far as muscle groups are concerned, I try to hit all of the major muscle groups and even stretch my feet and rotate my ankles. :D

Shelly

active isolated stretching (2 second stretches with a rope)

and use the stick

"the stick" website