Hi, I am a 39 years old accountant. My job is connected with a lot of sitting. I don't move a lot and it bothers me. My spine hurts. So, I have decided to exercise. My choice is running. I know I have to warm-up before running. Also I should stretch. Tell me how much should I stretch before running and for how long?

I see you are well informed. It is good not to rush into something. It is the best to be well informed. To warm-up you should walk or slow jog for 5-10 minutes. It will prepare your muscles for the effort during training. Then you should stretch with the accent on your legs. Stretch for a 5 minutes. When you are stretching you should not make sudden moves or bounce.

This is to, Burt. :

I would suggest for a ( Cold ) stretch I would do for no longer than 5minutes or until you feel a natural release and warm loose feeling in your legs and feet.

Try that and see how you feel.

*** DRINK PLENTY OF WATER !!!!!! At least 1 gallon intermittentely for at least 3hours after your done running. Also make sure to have a well balanced meal at least ( or no longer than 1&1/2 hours ) after your excerise. ( Running/Aerobics/Weight Training)..

Try to start following the diet by Dr. Barry Spear. ( The Zone Diet).

That may be difficult to understand,but to summarize the ZONE DIET,
measure and observe how much protein/fat/carbohydrates that you consume per every meal.

If you're taking any prescription medications, the Zone Diet has been proven to reduce or eliminate any prescriptions. ( Stop or reducing the amount of prescriptions medications.

If you have any further inquiries. Please feel free to contact me VIA email.

Hope that my knowledge was/ is helpful.

**this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **

Please read our Terms of Use

I will also suggest you for yoga, which will help you. Stand and stretch your body upwards by standing on your feet finger tips and then go for running.
All the best commoncents.

Ii agree with the 5 minute warm up. The point with warming up is to prepare your muscles for the exercise. Stretching is the key. You should cover the upper and lower body with stretching. This should be brief. When you start out with your actual exercise, i.e. running...start off with a slow jog and progress from there. The water is huge! The nutrition is huge ! Dehydration is dangerous. I think it would also be advisable to get a clear from a doctor regarding your back pain. You are assuming that the pain is because of sitting, but be sure. The last thing you want is a back problem. Also know that walking is less traumatic than running and the benefits are about the same. Try brisk walking instead. I hope this is helpful information...Let us know how you're doing with your new routine.

warming up your muscles are good for health, it should be allowed for about 10 - 15 minute at the start of the exercise!