i was running yesterday and got a big fat calf cramp; so of course i went ahead and ran another 4 miles.
so (of course) the middle of my calf is killin' me today.

if i rub it really hard right where it hurts, will this make it heal quicker so i can run by wednesday?

wat else can i do to make it heal quicker?

i thought it was just a cramp from lack of hydration....
Kel

Sounds like you may have torn the calf muscle a little - this is common with a calf cramp.

Give it a day or two then you can rub it(go across the calf as well as up and down), then ice massage it afterwards. Start doing some very gentle and controlled calf raises and calf drops - stand backwards on a step with your heels overhanging. Gently and slooowly lower heels down until you feel a gentle stretch, then up on your toes for a gentle stretch. Repeat 5-10 times, now bend your knees and do the same exercise again.

Cramps can be from hydration/nutrition issues, but are more commonly from fatigue brought about by say too much hill running. They also seem to occur in tight and/or knotty calves which are overdue for massage and stretching.

The calf exercise above is the best exercise for keeping calves and achilles healthy. I do them after every run and recommend to my clients that they do likewise.

You can run again when you can pass the "hop test" ie you can hop on the affected leg pain free.

i was hoping someone with medical/athletic experience/expertise would "happen" by and help me fix this flat tire! :D

thanks for the help, google didnt help me but u certainly did.

are you a personal trainer? so now i am a client? i can send old muddy running shoes to pay the bill.....

thanks
Kel
:wavey:

I think Soigneur offers some great advice, especially about massage, except that hanging over the edge of a stair step can be very dangerous for a calf (gastrocnemius or soleus) strain. Passive strecthing like that is certainly one way to do the stretching, but active stretching is much safer, and more effective. Active stretching means you simply use the muscles opposite the calf to do the stretch. Sit or lie down and lift your toes and foot toward your nose with legs out straight (knees NOT bent) for gastrocnemius, or knees slightly bent for soleus. Exhale into the stretch. Hold for no less than 2 seconds, and no more than 4-5 seconds. Then fully relax the ankles and inhale. Repeat 20-30 times per ankle. Why is active better? After 2-5 seconds of sustained stretching, there is a stretch reflex response that means your muscles try to tighten against the stretch. Not good. When an agonist (opposing muscle) is contracted (in this case the tibialis anterior muscle, the muscle that does the opposite motion of the calf muscle), the antagonist (calf) cannot contract. This is called "reciprocal inhibition". Passive stretching cannot ensure that. Breathing is good because exhalation relaxes skeletal muscle, a good state to be in if you're going to stretch. Further, inhalation brings blood to muscle, good when the muscle isn't being stretched, as smaller vessels are open when relaxed, but closed tight when stretched. Passive stretching keeps the joints fixed. However, active stretching moves the joints, and this is better. Finally, your body's weight on a stairway or step may be too much for the strained calf and you could easily tear with one false move, one quick heel-drop. I cannot tell you how many times my athletes and patients have made their calf strains worse with this stretch. Too many! Massage therapy is one of the MOST important things you can do for muscle injury and recovery, whether it is self-performed, or by a professional. Good stuff! Good luck!

With respect, this is a matter of opinion.

well, i used S's idea and it halped a lot. i have had no more prob's with my calves (sound of wood being knocked three times).

BUT, i think i will also try the other method just to see how it feels.

the only thing is, i run at 0400 hours, and i do not want to lay on the ground with all that dew and stuff; i get cold easy at night (esp after just waking up); even in florida....

Kel

Can you say "soigneur"?