I have been wondering how flexible are most us runners out there and how prone to injury are you?

I am not flexible at all. To steel from PH Living Rigor Mortis best describes my condition.

I am also very prone to injury.

How about you?

Sine I have Living Rigor Mortis®, I'm frequently battling the injuries. I stretch regularly and that really seems to help.

I know I couldn't make it without stretching. Otherwise my body is like Herman Munster trying to run down the street.

But are you prone to injury?

i think i'm prone to injury however, have been told i am fairly flexible, not Chinese gymnast flexible, but an acceptable flexible.

this year has been a bust out. 4 months in the beginning of the year and i have been off since the end of the virtual race -- if it's not one thing, it's another. and i believe it's all due to body mechanics and getting hold of what needs to be done for my particular running form and muscular build.

starting over -- slow -- no racing -- gradually adding miles. and i will do a very gentle stretching program. i think i have actually injured myself with overstretching at times.

most definitely, if shin pain* is considered a potential injury. I notice that my legs take a run much better if I have stretched. I also don't get muscle cramps, either.
Which to me it feels like it will progress to an injury if I don't take care of it

I've always been pretty flexible but I notice that when I let myself slip from the yoga or other stretching for any length of time, I do get more prone to injuries. I know for PF especially, stretching is KEY to healing.

very inflexible. (I know I have toes down there somewhere)....not really prone to injury...but I ache more than I probably should and stretch way less than I ought to. Hubby says I will pay big time some day :|

I figure I'm fairly flexible. I can touch my toes at times. I am not prone to injuries. My injuries have been from over-use.

I used to have very weak ankles that would sprain very easily. Since I marched in band, they are better now. In fact, I've turned my foot sideways a few times due to holes or rocks and keep going as if nothing happened. I believe it is due to the strength training, which is also a key solution to remaining injury free in my book. A proper weight training or conditioning regimine will save your muscles and bones.

I hurt myself when I try push myself...I think all the soccer I played helped my body grow accustom to the beatings...on the flip side it also weakened my ankles cuz of some soccer injuries I had....

I always hated stretching and I often times avoided it in an effort to save time. Didn't have to many injury problems.

hmmm, good question. i think it's a good idea to stretch after a warm up run and then go into your run...it should help reduce potential injury. and a warm down stretch is good too. it's how people are stretching, i'm convinced, that is hurting them.

i'm pretty flexible...and was very flexible. and i swear i've hurt myself thinking i can do certain stretches that my body really isn't in condition to do anymore. i'm definitely injury prone. and along with your stretching question, i'm not sure if it's because of years of stretching during dance workouts and ultimately hurting my muscles and ligaments or if it's just my body and its reaction to a repetitve movement. i just don't know. i wish i did.

you, i think you're on the right track pinpointing the muscles that are overly tight and working on loosening those muscles. :wiggle:

I consider myself pretty inflexible but not particularly injury prone (until the last two weeks). 90% of my injuries have been self inflicted thru stupidity.

For an atheletic person i think i am rather INFLEXIBLE. i do however try to stretch routinely now. i have had some injuries due to not stretching.

Now employee health thinks i am a gymnast :shrug:

who'd thunk it?