What is the best stretch for the shin muscle? Mine are a little tender and I think stretching will help them feel better.

Thanks

A few things to ease shin aches. One is to be sure the surfaces you run on are the softest you can find. Avoid concrete as much as you can. Asphalt is somewhat better. Rubberized tracks or a treadmill are a notch better. And the best is going to be grass, dirt or a woodchip type trail.

When you finish a run, take a frozen papercup of ice and for ten minutes, tear off the top of the cup to have an icy surface to rub along your shins. It'll do wonders to reduce the inflammation and aches. Do it even a couple more times later in the day to help with recovering.

There is also a good "shin strengthener" exercise. Lay on your back a couple feet from a wall so you can lift your legs and bend your knees at a ninety degree angle and be able to "tap" your toes on the wall. Just the weight of your calves and the tapping exercise will be a good little routine to get those thin shin muscles beefed up some. Do this frequently through the day and keep it up for a good many weeks after the shin splits go away.

Thanks. I'll check it out and try the toe tapping exercise. I'm hoping for the best cause I really want to start adding more runs or longer distance per run.

not a stretch, but... the first year i was in track in high school, i got wicked shin splints, but every year after that, the coach would have us walk around on our heels a little bit during warm-ups (kinda like when you wore cowboy boots when you were a kid and you have to walk all stiff :wiggle: ) and that really helped for me. and also make sure you do whatever calf stretches you do REALLY well before and after running.

There are many running stretches that you could do for your shin muscle. I know a couple that we did once in a while: stand on your toes and stick your heels outward and walk for about 10 paces. Do the same stretch but point your heels inward.