What kind of gains should someone be seeing from a regular stretching routine? I've had two doctors tell me that my ham strings are tight because that's the way God made me but that I still need to stretch them. I've been doing a pretty consistant stretching routine for several months and I really don't think I'm seeing the kind of gains that I should be.

How does one quantify stretching and the associated gains?

Mostly range of motion.
I don't have time to go into a lot of detail right now; but, here are a few things: warm up the muscles first, sit when stretching the hamstrings (vs standing toe touch), don't forget the groin (butterfly stretch).

When I started running I though I was doing a good job stretching after each run. I would go through my routine and feel the stretch each time but I was worried about stretching to far and pulling a muscle. Over time I saw little gain in flexibility, I just figured I was inflexible (My wife would definitely agree ;) ). Eventually I started have pirformis problems. After dealling with the pain and seeing massuese, I really started to stretch. I know stretch to the point of slight discomfort, while making sure I don't over stretch (if that makes sense???). Sense then I have seen huge increases in my flexibility. I can for the first time in my life touch my toes both standing and sitting and my injuries have been down. Well enough rambling and hopefully this helps.

I think you will gain a little flexiblity. My doctor told me(about 6 years ago) I'm very tight also and although I tried to stretch religiously--and did gain a little flexiblity I was never as flexible as most. Not sure if this is just me or if I'm not doing all I can to alleviate the problem.

You can see huge gains in flexibility, if you stretch properly. Get someone else to stretch you on a regular basis. Preferably a massage therapist, personal trainer, ex. phys., someone who know PNF techniques and someone who, if they know what they're doing, will measure your range of motion at the beginning of your 'sessions'.
I had someone work with me a few years ago, and it was amazing the increase in my flexibility. We stretched twice a week for about 30 minutes.
Once you work with this person for a few months, you'll be able to gauge the correct stretch for yourself.
You know, I know someone who could work with you on this. And the house next door to her is for sale.

One class I have started to try to get into at least once every other week is Pilates. It seems to help a LOT. Granted I've always been pretzel girl, but it really helped with a tight right hamstring that had been an annoyance for about a year and a hal (at least, posible longer).

Does flexibility lead to less injuries? or better form? I don't know. I'm as inflexible as a redwood and the times I've tried to get into extensive stretching seem to trigger more aches than it deterred. Marty Liquori says in his book... "stretching, it's over-rated".

Less injuries? Yes. Better form? Maybe, if one can relate better flexibility with an increase in relaxation while running and then therefore better form.
And maybe when you "tried to get into extensive stretching", you did too much too fast.