Howdy, folks. I am planning to do screening exams for liver cancer. I have heard about analyzing AFT in one’s blood. I wonder how this is related with discovering the cancer. I would really appreciate if anyone knew this answer. This will mean a lot to me. Thank you for replying. Bye, folks.

Hello. AFP is a substance called alpha-fetoprotein. It isn’t normally present in the adult’s blood. Her presence in blood can mean that one suffers from liver cancer. However, this test is not perfect. There are some types of liver cancer that do not produce AFP. Even with those which do produce it, by the time AFP gets measurable, the cancer is in advanced stage. There are even some noncancerous liver diseases that may produce this protein. If you decide to do it, don’t rely only to these results. Take some other tests as well. I hope everything will be all right.