Hello, friends. My close friend has a liver cancer family history. She would like to exclude this possibility and so she would like to try screening exams. I would like to know how they look like. Can anyone provide me with more details? I hope this won’t bother you much. Thanks in advance.

Hello. Screening means that a person is investigated for a disease before there are any symptoms. I think your friend should not be so scared. Screening examination mostly consist of laboratory and imaging tests. She will give her blood for analysis. Ultrasound of liver is also very important. CT and MRI give excellent images. Maybe she shouldn’t go for CT since the radiation is huge when one is viewed by this technique. MRI is harmless and gives excellent images. The definite answer can give liver biopsy. However, for this a surgical procedure is needed, so your friend should consider it carefully. She should discuss all this with her doctor. I hope everything will be all right.