Hello, folks. My wife is planning to do screening exams for liver cancer. She has a positive family history and wants to be sure. I have heard something about staging tests and I would like to know if they are a part of screening tests. What can you tell me about this? I would appreciate all your help.

Hi. Staging tests are taken when liver cancer has been already found. They determine the size, location and spreading of tumor. This is very important when deciding about treatment options. If the tumor is smaller and does not give metastatic lesions, it may be removed surgically. If it is advanced, then chemotherapy or radiation is an option. The tests that decide staging are usually the ones that are used for diagnosing. I think imaging techniques are very important here. Ultrasound and MRI are very important. Your wife should discuss about this with her doctor. I hope everything will be all right.