Hello, folks. My friend’s father has died from liver cancer recently. I know that this type of cancer is very lethal and dangerous. I would like to know if screening for this type can help in any way. What can you tell me about this? I would really appreciate. Thank you in advance.

Hello. Screening for liver cancer hasn’t been proven to be really helpful. It hasn’t been proven in reducing the risk of dying of liver cancer. At least, I’ve read that. That is why some experts don’t recommend the screening. Nevertheless, some experts recommend it for those with high risk. Those are people who have hepatitis B and one of the following characteristics: Asian female older than 50 or Asian male older than 40, have liver cirrhosis or liver cancer family history. Other risks are liver cirrhosis from alcohol abuse, hepatitis C, primary sclerosing cholangitis or inherited hemochromatosis. Pros and cons for screening should be discussed with a doctor. I hope this helps. Bye!