Hi, folks. My friend has just delivered a beautiful baby. I am thrilled for her and I can’t wait them to leave the hospital. However, I hear they should do the newborn screening first. Do you know what this is all about? What do you think about it? I will appreciate all your replies considering this.

Hi, there. I think that newborn screening is a good thing. A baby is tested for several diseases and conditions before leaving the hospital. Babies are checked for some diseases that could be life threatening. Most tests use only few drops of blood. If this test shows any problem, your doctor will point you out the direction of additional examination. If there is something suspicious, you can consult a specialist of a certain area. I hope everything will be all right with your friend’s baby. I hope I’ve helped a little. Bye!