Hello, folks. My friend would like to check whether she has liver cancer or not. She has no symptoms, but has a positive family history. She would like to know if biopsy is a part of screening exams for liver cancer. I would like to help her with this. Your help will be more than welcomed. Thanks.

Hello to you too. For those who do not know, screening test is made to check someone who hasn’t any symptoms for a certain disease. Liver cancer has several screening tests. Liver biopsy is just one of them. Biopsy is the only method that can definitely show whether one has a liver cancer or not. On the other hand, for this test a surgical procedure is needed. Some experts say that screening tests for liver cancer do not reduce the chance of dying from liver cancer. However, people who have risks should do it. I suggest your friend to discuss with a doctor whether to do or not screening. I hope everything will be all right.

Yes, they can perform a liver biopsy. I lost my brother in May to this disease.