To keep this post short and to the point, I suffer from hereditary female hair loss, and I am dealing with visible hair loss at this point. I have hair, but much less than most women. I can hide my hair loss if I really go out of my way to strategically place my pony tails in positions that do not show the hair loss, but I also often choose to wear hats or bandanas. 

My doctor recently suggested women's Rogaine for my hair loss. I am interested but I would like to hear how long it really takes to see results. I'd also like to hear about side effects you may have experienced. 

Women's Rogaine differs from men's Rogaine in that it needs to be applied only once a day to be effective. It's a non hormonal topical treatment for hair loss and 80% of women who use it notice significant hair growth within their first 6 months of using it, which does not mean you will have all the results you will ever see by that time, but that you will begin to see real hair growth by that time. That is a pretty effective figure, isn't it? I definitely think you should try wonen's Rogaine, all the more if your doctor advised you to use it!

Celebrity

Before you start using this, be aware that Rogaine (Minoxidil) can cause some side effects like an irritated scalp and even occasionally systemic side effects like a racing heartbeat, chest pain, and dizziness. Rogaine was originally a vasodilator and it's not clear why it causes hair regrowth yet, which would explain those side effects. Even if you can get it over the counter, I'd prefer to be under the care of a doctor while using women's Rogaine. 

Having said that, I would not hesitate to use Rogaine if I suffered from hair loss. Hair is such an important part of your self image! I hope it works out for you. 

Rosie

It took me four months of using Minoxidil before I saw any results at all... that was a long four months of wondering whether this was really the solution to my female hair loss that I was hoping for, but I was so happy when the effects of Rogaine became obvious to me! Seeing a "fuller effect" took much longer though, just over a year. I am still using it now for upkeep and overall I am very pleased with the results. So in your darkest moments when you are sure women's Rogaine won't work for YOUR hair loss, please just remember that it takes time. But it does work.

I feel for you!

I do understand that Rogaine is the most effective hair loss treatment on the market today though, barring a hair transplant. This medication has been around for a long time and most people who use it see additional hair growth, and quickly too. You get the best results if you keep on using women's Rogaine so the hair growth improvements you have achieved are not reversed. 

It's so much harder for women with hair loss, isn't it? It's good that women's Rogaine is around, because most treatments for hair loss are geared to men, and this isn't. 

The question that immediately comes to mind for me is this. You are meant to use women's Rogaine every single day to maintain results, but you are also not allowed to use it for 24 hours after coloring your hair or having chemical treatments like a perm. I would hate to deal with female hair loss, but does getting your hair back mean you have to resign yourself to going gray, because you can't really dye your hair while using it? Or will it still work if you skip a day every month or so? Just wondering if you have considered this angle.