I've got hair loss on the top of my scalp, around the natural parting in the middle. Other female relatives also suffer from hair loss, and I am not sure if there is a medical explanation, but I intend to find out and see what I can do about my hair loss. If I could at least prevent it from progressing, I would be happy. 

One of the most common treatments for female hair loss is Rogaine for women. I am interested in using this, but also not willing to sacrifice my general health for my hair. Can you tell me what side effects I could expect if I would use women's Rogaine? 

The most common side effects of Rogaine for hair loss, in men or women, are the topical side effects directly related to the scalp. Things like itchiness, irritation, redness, flaky, dandruff like skin, and dry skin, are all possible, and more often than not temporary, meaning they will stop when you have used Rogaine for longer. 

You also have cases where Rogaine leads the color or texture of the hair to change, so be aware of that. 

More serious side effects are blood pressure changes, dizziness and feeling weak, edema, muscle pain, and headaches among a lot of others. If you are concerned, make sure you talk to a doctor even if you can get Rogaine without a prescription, particularly if you have medical problems or medical problems run in the family. 

I have a friend who has been using Rogaine for women for her hair loss for years now. Rogaine is among the most effective treatments for female hair loss, and definitely the most accessible one. You only need to use it once a day, but the thing is that you need to use it every day for the results to last! It also doesn't make your hair back to what it was, though it does have very visible effects.

Side effects? My friend is not complaining of anything other than flaky scalp skin/dandruff. Many people have that, whether they use Rogaine or not.

I recently read a study that indicated that long term users of Rogaine are at risk of suffering from cardiac symptoms, as Rogaine use increases the number of heart beats you have per minute if you use it for long enough. Of course, most Rogaine users are likely to stick with the medication for the long haul, as discontinuing Rogaine causes your hair to return to the state it was in before you started on the medication. 

Things like this should certainly be taken into account when you first start using a medication. It is not only about the side effects you may experience right away, but also about side effects that may show up only after you have been using Rogaine for a decade or more. 

I have been using Rogaine for a few months now and I was initially very worried about side effects as well. I think my fear of side effects has had a much greater effect on me than actual side effects, though, because I did notice an itchy scalp, a dry scalp, and so on but I think it is mostly in my head. Everyone itches sometimes.

As for long term side effects, I can't speak to that yet because I am a new Rogaine user, but I know that I prefer to do something about my hair loss than to worry about that right now.

When I first started using Rogaine for women, I noticed a really, really dry scalp, with white flakes and itchiness which I constantly felt the need to scratch. I had never had dandruff before, but this didn't look like the pictures of dandruff I saw either. It was way worse. It went away after three months. I am still not sure if it went away just because this side effect of Rogaine had run its natural course or because I learned to apply a slightly lower amount of the stuff.

It was annoting, I won't deny that, but it went away and Rogaine gave me no more side effects after that.