I am a woman with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) and have thinning hair (androgenic alopecia) due to my condition, which is growing worse over time. I hate my thinning hair and I would do nearly anything to have a full head of hair again but regardless, I am not in any position to undergo expensive regrowth treatments right now. So I am looking into natural solutions. How do I treat my thinning hair naturally, and cheaply? 

I was hoping there are other women with PCOS here who would be willing to share what they have done to combat their androgenic alopecia? 

A low glycemic index diet is supposed to make a big difference. I am sure you have tried that/are doing that already? If not, then look into that. Regular exercise and trying to keep your stress levels to a minimum are suggestions along the same lines, more lifestyle modifications than natural treatments for hair thinning because of PCOS. 

Suggestions that fall more into the "hair loss remedy" category are massaging your scalp with jojoba oil and taking saw palmetto supplements. I don't know if it could be consider a natural treatment for PCOS hair loss, but a lot of women with PCOS also go on the birth control to minimize their hair loss. 

Celebrity

That is a predicament! I know there was a topic about regrowing hair with an iGrow laser treatment helmet just recently. I didn't comment because I wasn't sure what to think of it, but I did look the product up, and the people who make that iGrow laser hair regrowth device claim that both men and women can use it to regrow their hair. 

I thought I would throw it out there, just in case you are interested, because it might help you. This might not be a natural treatment at all, but it is a home remedy of sorts, as in, you don't need a prescription. 

Rosie

I'm no expert on PCOS hair loss though I've heard about it, but Googling possible home remedies for PCOS hair loss, I understand why you are frustrated and asking random strangers on the internet for help! A good diet, enough sleep, relaxation... yeah, those things are generally needed for a healthy life and can't really be considered remedies for anything much, can they? That's what you are meant to be doing anyway. I did see saw palmetto, biotin, N-acetyl Cysteine and spearmint tea recommended as ways to deal with thinning hair in women who have polycystic ovaries. I know biotin is generally good for hair, nails and skin so that might be worth looking into. I have no experience with the other ones. 

How to treat thinning hair naturally? Nope, I wouldn't bother with natural treatments for hair loss, which may have some effect but may also not. I'd skip straight to women's Rogaine, which you only apply once a day and you should see results within 6 months. Women's Rogaine is effective for nearly every person who uses it, and though I'd definitely clear this with your doctor before you start, it's even available over the counter in many places now, or off the internet.

Hi, I was just wondering if you had tried/heard of Nizorol shampoo or a similar shampoo with Ketoconazole yet? It's meant for dandruff really, but you will see that many people use it to combat hair loss quite successfully. It's not at all clear how something like that could help you reverse hair loss, but even plastic surgeons admit that it does work in many people, so it's not some quack treatment that costs money and gets you nowhere, and it is probably cheaper and less invasive than laser treatment for hair loss or even Rogaine.

How about try a hair product that makes your hair look thicker even if it is not actually thicker? Because I don't think you can do female hair loss with just herbs and supplements. What they can do is make the hair you have look healthier. You could consult a really good hair dresser about the best cut for you to hide your hair loss. You could go for a really funky look and can also consider using a hair piece. Some of them look amazingly natural. But you could always go for the punk look as well.