My cousin Mia is only 19 years old. She is pregnant for two months now. At her first days of pregnancy she was feeling OK, but now she is having some unexplained abdominal pain during pregnancy. She went to see her healthcare provider and he told her that everything is OK with her and that pain that she feels is normal condition for pregnant lady. But still, she is scared and she told me that she wants to get rid of this pain ASAP. So, I was wondering do you know what are treatment options for abdominal pain during pregnancy?

Thank you!

If her doctor told her that everything is okay with her, then everything is okay with her, abdominal pain during pregnancy is something that is so common and so normal that she doesn't really have to worry about it (at least not if her doctor told her already that she is just fine). Doctors will usually give you some medications for this matter, painkillers and such but I don't think that is smart because I am personally against taking any medications while you are pregnant. I was pregnant twice and I refused to take any medications because they can actually harm your baby.

Yeah, I think that abdominal pain during pregnancy is always just a normal thing to happen. I had these pains as well but they were not so strong, I guess that is why I didn't really think of them as of anything serious and they disappeared on their own.  If her doctor told her that everything is okay and he didn't mention any treatment options, then she doesn't need any treatment options. If her pain gets worse, she should probably visit her doctor again and ask him for some kind of treatment, he will probably give her some medications to use.

Nobody can really tell you about the treatment options for abdominal pain until they know the cause of the abdominal pain. This kind of pain is quite normal for the period of pregnancy and it doesn't require any treatment and you don't want to use medications because of your baby unless the pain becomes too strong, but if the pain does become too strong, that would probably mean that there is something more serious going on so the treatment would be something more than just taking medications. But if her doctor told her that she is okay, then she is probably okay.

Don't treat it. If her health provider told her not to treat it and that everything is okay, then she should do as he said. Abdominal pain can be caused by some dangerous things even during pregnancy sometimes, but I am sure that everything is okay if her doctor said so. There are numerous different treatments for abdominal pain and they all differ depending on the cause of the pain. However, it is normal for women who are pregnant to feel abdominal pain so that is actually the reason that I told you that her doctor is probably right about this.

Yes, I understand what you are saying, but she is extremely scared and she keeps telling me that this pain is bigger than ever. I think that all of us are scared. I have tried to explain to her that this might be just in her mind, that she thinks that she is in the bigger pain than she actually is, but she keeps telling me that she is sure that there is something wrong with the baby. That is why we are all concerned and we want to do something to help her in this condition, but we don't know what. She was thinking to change her doctor as well, even if this current doctor is really a good one.

Look, Rafferty. I don't want to pretend to be the smartest person alive, but she is very, very young. And I really do believe that she doesn't know how to behave during her pregnancy. She went to see her doctor. OK, that is a really good thing because that shows that she is aware of possible problems. But another thing that I agree - if her doctor told her that everything is ok, that means that everything is ok. You said as well that this is a good doctor and that you trust him. There is no reason to panic. This can make damage to her baby....Good luck.

It is normal that your cousin Mia is feeling some abdominal pain during her pregnancy, especially during the first trimester. That means that her body is changing, that her body is adapting to certain changes. Ok, people used to say that this is a blessed condition (maybe this is the wrong term), but definitely is different and another condition and she should accept this. I agree that there is no need for her to treat it if a doctor told her that she is ok. All that she can do is to change her way of eating and stop drinking those silly drinks. That is all.

I disagree with some of you. If she is feeling uncomfortable because of this pain then she should do something to prevent it even if her doctor told her that there is no need for this. Why would she suffer if there is no need for this?

Tell Mia that she can do so many things.

For example, this pain is usually caused by lower back pain. In this case, massage can be very helpful so seeing someone who can give her a good massage can be one of the cures. I am sure that this will help her in relieving her pain. 

Good luck. I wish Mia all the best.