Hello guys. My cousin Katty was diagnosed with depression and she thinks that now it is the end of the world. Ok, it is not that I don't understand her, because I have been in the same condition as she is now, but I am trying to tell her that everything is going to be OK and that she can learn from my own experience to deal with it. OK, I know that this is not the same, because she has different diagnose and that is why I am here. I want to know more about treatment for depression with acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)? Tnx in advance.

Hi there. I agree that every diagnosis and every kind of depression is different. Now I believe that she is going through totally different thing than you. Did doctor prescribed her this type of treatment? Well, here is what I know - acceptance and commitment Therapy is a totally new form of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, so that is why I don't know anyone who has experience with it. I know that this type of therapy has gained increased attention in recent years and I was reading that it is good. So I think that your cousin should start with it.

Yes, I did some research and I could be able to find out that this type of therapy is really helpful and that it is very helpful when it comes to depression. I also don't know anyone who has experience with it so I was afraid that I will make a mistake in asking a question. 

She is scared of this therapy but doctor told her that this therapy can help her very fast, even faster than she expects. 

So that is one of the things that I really want to know - is this therapy really that helpful? Tnx!

Sure that can help. Any therapy should be able to help a patient. This type of therapy is particularly helpful for handling feelings of depression. It helps people because it can easily offer a people one totally new way to develop a new relationship with pain and suffering. A basic assumption of ACT is that pain is a normal and unavoidable part of human experience. Like I already told you, I don't know anyone who has experience with this type of therapy, but I was reading a lot about it and everyone has positive experiences, so I do believe that is OK. Some reviews that I have read about ACT told me that this therapy can help you learn to let go of the struggle with pain, it can also help you be more mindful, and live good and satisfying life.

It is just one type of cognitive behavioral therapy, not really a type of it, it might be better to say that this is just one part of this therapy. Cognitive behavioral therapy is the main psychological treatment option for people who are suffering from depression, anxiety, panic attacks, and some mood disorders which are similar to these. This is the first step usually towards treating depression, people usually go to this cognitive behavioral therapy and use medications along with this therapy. It showed pretty good results, it is considered to be the best possible treatment out there for treating depression.

It is a great technique, I was undergoing this therapy when I was suffering from depression a couple of years ago and I would really suggest it to everyone struggling with depression. It taught me many things, and it really helped me overcome my depression. It taught me how to fight my thoughts which just kept coming and I was actually afraid of these thoughts before this therapy, but after my therapy was done, I learned how to control them and how to fight them. I didn't even have to use any medications for depression, this therapy itself was pretty much enough for me.

I have a relative who was using this kind of therapy in order to overcome his depression. If I remember well, this was just one part of his cognitive behavioral therapy process, you have to visit a psychologist in order to start this therapy (psychologists are in charge of giving or conducting this therapy). 

My relative told me that this is quite a good therapy, that it helped him a lot, that it helped him learn how to fight this and overcome depression on his own, that all that he had to do was learn how to control and fight his thoughts.