I have colon cancer and would be having a surgery next week. I’m familiar with possibility of ileostomy or colostomy and still I don’t manage the idea of having colon cancer at all especially of having that “bag” to carry later on. But I also worry how I should be behaving after surgery so I’d appreciate any info about this. Thx

I had colon cancer and had ileostomy done and was carrying that “bag “for years. Finally I decided to have ileostomy reversal for I had some colon left which was enough for reversal. Anyway after colon cancer surgery you must take care of yourself on some “bigger” levels meaning you’ll have to eat healthy try to be active and maintain your weight normal. Look at me even after ileostomy reversal I can do anything, practically there’re no special limitations – you can go even camping with your friends if you want. And from now on you have to do follow-ups regularly just to make sure the cancer hasn’t got back. So what I was talking? Sure, your diet is the most important thing here after your surgery is done meaning you need to avoid fat of animal origin and try not to eat too much of red meat, find the way to provide yourself at least five meals per day that will have the right balance of proteins, carbohydrates, fats and vitamins and minerals. And drinking water is of importance try to drink at least 8 cups of liquid each day. After you recover completely after the surgery you better try to do some easy exercise at least 30 minutes a day, be active take a walk…that’s what I do even after ileostomy reversal. And don’t forget your regular check ups on your health.