Approximaltely 2 months ago my spouse had colorectal surgery. A colostomy bag was attached. He is to begin radiation within the next month in the meantime he is taking Xeloda chom tablets but over the past 2 weeks he has been having bleeding and some mucus from the rectum. There is no problem with the faeces and the bag but we are a bit concerned about the bleeding. Is this unusual. There was bleeding before the surgery and we thought that it would stop after the surgery but it stopped temporarily and started again. Somehow I find that there is a bit of a stench from the bleeding and mucus. Would taking of the chemo tabs stopped the bleeding.

I’m sorry that you and your spouse are going through this situation because I’ve seen how hard it is during this first period of adjustment when my best friend’s aunt had to have colostomy, sadly because of the cancer.

Really the safest way is to ask the doctor about this; any kind of bleeding, no matter what the situation is can be potentially very dangerous, not to mention that this unfortunately might mean that there is still something that would cause rectal blood vessels to break when the muscle contracts. The same goes for starting or stopping any kind of treatment. The best and safest way is to go with the professional opinion from the doctor that already knows the whole history and details.

When my friend was telling me that she had rectal bleeding after colonoscopy, I believed that this is not true. 

Maybe it is nothing, maybe it is just a rectal discharge. Generally, she was talking to her doctor and he told her that she is scared way too much and that it is possible to experience a discharge from the back passage even after colonoscopy. When it comes to rectal discharge, and whether it causes problems, it can be caused by so many reasons and it is different from one person to another. 

I suggest that in this case you talk to your doctor and let him do all possible tests to determine why there is a rectal bleeding or rectal discharge. 

The similar thing happened to me. When I saw that I have this rectal bleeding I was so scared.

First, I believed that this is nothing serious, but as soon as I saw that this just won't go away, I went to see my doctor.

It was really bad because I had this bleeding like every day whenever I went to the toilet.

I did the ultrasound and I am waiting for the results. I have to wait for some other tests as well.

According to my doctors face, I can see that he is worried. I hope that everything will be ok. That is why I am telling you that you should visit your doctor as soon as you can. I waited for a little bit longer and that was a mistake.  

My husband had been having rectal bleeidng for about 18 months since his surgery. They went in in NOV and couldnt find anything to biopsy and the DR just thought it was 'healing" bright red blood for 18 months? scary!!!