Hello! I have been using treadmill 6 months ago. I have been using it regularly, like almost every day for about 45 mins. The thing is that I haven’t seen any improvement! How many calories can one burn on the treadmill? Thank you

Hello! I don’t think that the number of calories burnt is the point with treadmill or any other exercise. I mean, it is important but even more important is to combine diet with exercise. If you want to lose weight your calorie intake must be less than your calorie output. Also, you have to intensify your exercise as you get fitter. Your body gets fitter after a few weeks of exercising, so you need to set new goals in order to burn the same calories. If you need help with a diet you can always find a nutritionist to help you.

Yes obviously the key to losing weight is to create a calorie deficit. That is exactly why its important to know how many calories one burns on a treadmill ?!?!

In Response to Conny, I'm not sure if I simply misunderstood you, but your intake must be less than your output? That's physically impossible, because you would die. If for example one needs 1200 calories a day for their diet, you're saying they must burn more than that? Its not possible for the body to exist without a certain amount of calories. I dont know the exact breakdown, but a percent of your daily caloric intake is for survival, and a percent is stored as fat. The idea is to eat what is required for survival and energy in combination with a healthy amount of exercise.

l00k

get a heart rate m0nit0r

select the cardi0 setting

set the heart rate t0 ab0ut 164

every tw0 w0rk 0uts increase it by 0ne

in ab0ut 4 weeks

y0u will n0tice weight g0ing d0wn 0r y0u dr0pping sizes as y0u'll be burning ab0ut 600 cal0ries a sessi0n

the thing is i see s0 many pe0ple in the gym 0n setting 1. its like wtf? are y0u just lying t0 y0urself ab0ut h0w much y0u are d0ing c0s its n0t ab0ut making it easier

ask them f0r a telemetric strap and h0w t0 set it up, set it t0 cardi0

if its t00 difficult at 164 bpm, then l0wer the time y0u d0 it f0r

but d0nt sh0rt change y0urself

and d0nt expect t0 d0 45minutes at 164bpm c0s im guessing y0u arent fit at the m0ment and y0u c0uld damage y0urself

but basically

Keep the heartrate high....... "fat burning m0de" is fkng p0intless, it d0esnt matter what cal0ries y0u burn, cal0ries are cal0ries full st0p. plus y0u'll find y0u end up burning far m0re in a l0t less time and feel better f0r it.

st0p if y0u feel unc0mf0rtable as in, in pain, severe pain. 0therwise keep g0ing

afterwards y0u'll feel it.

if y0ur tshirt isnt drenched in sweat, then y0u arent d0ing anything

diet is imp0rtant f0r weightl0ss, but when y0u start d0ing l0nger cardi0 sessi0ns y0u will eventually get t0 a disgusting am0unt 0f cal0ries burned and it alm0st bec0mes imp0ssible n0t t0 l0se weight/t0ne up

als0 take waist measurements, d0nt weigh y0urself. y0u will n0tice a difference in a few weeks.

and remember d0 a light 5 minute warm up and stretch.

break up the 45 minutes int0 tw0 if y0u must with a break inbetween

its n0t supp0sed t0 be easy, but its n0t as difficult as y0u think

g00d luck ;p

ap

if u consume 1200 calories per day but lose less then obviously you gain. if you intake 1200 and burn the same amount...u basically maintain. and if you consistently intake 1200 but manage to burn 1350 then obviously you lose. simple math. there are many debates over this but what you eat and how much will obviously affect weight, whether loss, maintainace or gain.

changing what you eat without lowering calories is possible with healthy food choices but physical output cannot be less or equal to caloric intake for serious weight loss.

anyway...i'd love the answer to maniaci's question, so if any1 finds out...plz reply.

working out on the treadmill is not always about counting calories (or subtracting them!). I'm not quite sure those treadmill readings are all that accurate. I found this workout to be quite successful: wellsphere.com/exercise-article/treadmill-workouts/8430 . It is called the 90/30 workout and it alternates high and moderate intensity in two minutes cycles. I guess you'll "burn the most calories" this way, because your body will continue to burn calories after the workout. Good luck!

nicoya wrote:

Wow, you are so rude! It's funny because you're actually wrong. I'm going to a weight loss clinic and everything the last person you called an id**t said was correct. Get your facts straight lady.

No, everything that writer said could not be more wrong. This isn't rocket science. To lose weight, one must consume less calories then they take in. They MUST create a calorie deficit. I recently lost 120 lbs by creating a 800-1000 calorie deficit each and everyday. In order to acheive this, I had to work my butt off in the gym and on treadmills to burn calories.

Another weight loss myth is eating at night is bad. Wrong! It DOES NOT MATTER when you consume your calories! I always failed at dieting because I could not go to bed hungry. So I started listening to Steve Turano and finally became successful.

I ate a couple of snacks during the day, usually consisting of fruit. Then at night before going to bed, I consumed my only main meal of the day followed with sugar free jello with fresh fruit for dessert. I went to bed satisfied and lost weight very fast. Watch episode 101. Eat And Go To Bed with SteveTurano

***edited by moderator***

I'd also really like to know the answer to maniaci's original question " I lost 70 pounds in a year, a lot of it by not eating more than 1200 calories a day with no exercise. About four months into it, I was able to exercise comfortably and started going to spinning classes. They really give you a good workout! You'll burn 400 to 600 calories during a spinning class. I've tried treadmills and elliptical machines, but they don't even come close to burning that number of calories in the same amount of time. On a cardio machine, it doesn't seem possible to get your heart rate up as high and for the same duration as in a spinning class. I canceled my gym membership for a few weeks thinking I could save money and use the small gym at my condo, but I started putting on weight even though I used the treadmill and elliptical machine. It's worth every penny of the gym membership if I can do spinning class and burn two or three times the calories I'd burn on a cardio machine. What other forms of exercise are there besides spinning that burn a lot of calories while letting you do it continuously for 45 to 60 minutes? I'm addicted to spinning now, and it's wonderful!

What conny had meant was, if you consume 1200 calories a day, you would have to burn atleast 500 calories per day with excercise to loose weight. This is because the 1200 cal's consumed are burnt on average throughout the course of your day by proforming your regular activites. Keep in mind that we burn up to 70 calories an hour just sitting down on a couch, and im sure no one spends their every moment sitting on a couch. In a nutshell, 1200 cals consumed per day would mean 1700 cals need to be burnt in a day including excercise to loose weight. So, you do have to burn more calories than you consume to loose weight, otherwise you'd be maintaining your weight or adding weight.

hi just wanna help those who are using tredmill for fitness.Use it for running at a speed of 9.5 - 10 for 20 min. without break 5 times a week for remaing fit and making abdominaL STRONG

I don't think these forums should be abused with calling people idiots...no-one is an id**t really, be polite or say nothing at all.
I agree with the 90/30 and low calorie intake, or burn as much as you can.
Good luck with the weight loss.
Don't focus all your energy on how you can lose weight, once you stop thinking about it uou will see changes. train your mind to believe you are running on a treadmill because its fun & healthy.

get a heart rate m0nit0r
select the cardi0 setting
set the heart rate t0 ab0ut 164
every tw0 w0rk 0uts increase it by 0ne
in ab0ut 4 weeks

maniaci:

what is your purpose of using a 0 (zero) in place of the letter O? It's quite irritating to read your reply. The O is located in between the letter P and I.

OK NOW,,,, it is true that you do have to burn more calories than you put in,, however it would be interesting to know how old the person is and how much they weigh for them to consume 1200 kcl per day... any way yes to those who are saying calories are not as important as size changing..... it is hard to determine the amount of kcl burnt on treadmill because every body is different in age, weight,height and fitness level. everyones metabloic rate is different..(the rate your body burns kcl). so for losing weight/size combine interval training on a treadmill, one min fast one min slower but on incline no holding on and holding abs tight throught routine.. then do compound exercises(ones using multiple muscles at same time) ie; squat and bicep curl, dead lift into shoulder press. etc..this burns so much more kcl and most importantly burns stored fat. 500 kcl per day expended burns 1bl fat per week.. that is you eat/drink say for instance 1500 kcl one day of healthy low fat (good fats),wholesome food,,, with all you do throughout the day cleaning walking , every movement you make you will burn the 1500 that day as long as you keep active. then you exercise and burn an additional 500. the body does survive this way because with specific exercises you burn the kcl in the stored excess in your body...however, the higher the intensity and frequency the more you need to comsume in good foods and this won't stop you from losing weight it just gives the body the fuel needed to sustain you through your workout. for weight loss on treadmill you need to be working 60-70% of your MAX HEART RATE. that is 220 minus your age then divide the answer by say 65% that is the heart rate you need to sustain.. dosn't work on one who is quite fit tho as they will be able to sustain a lot higher MHR so intervall training will in most cases be the best way.. HOPE THIS HELPS A LITTLE. :-)

Guest:
Thanks for your information.I think your information was the more explicite in this page.Once again Thanks,Sergio