what speed should I run on the treadmill to burn fat. I recently upped my speed and duration and actually gained fat and although I am really slim I want to lose some flab which has developed around my stomach and hips. Somebody said that I needed to work at a lower intensity so can somebody please recommend a running speed and also a cycling speed for me.
Cheers.

Hey Michelle-

I too have been working on my mid-region. There may be something to the claim that running too fast on a treadmill worsens the fat-burning effect.
This only pertains to treadmill running- not sure why. I read (in a reputable running rag) that once you surpass a certain threshold, you actually burn fewer calories on the 'mill than you would if you were outdoors. I think the article warned against running faster than a 6 1/2 or 7 minute mile.

I'd try walking rigorously (4.5) at an incline of three or greater to beat the battle of the bulge...Good luck!!

Bottom's up,
Jen

To burn fat you must be able to use oxygen. If you are running too fast it becomes an anaerobic workout and therefore, not using oxygen and not burning fat as fuel, or so I have been told.

On a side, note, try tracking your caloric intake, you might be surprised.

I have now changed my routine to running at 10km at 9 km per hour every other day on the other days I do weight training and ab exercises and will see how this pans out. I am 5ft 4 and weigh 7st 12 or 110 lbs. Recently visited a specialist running shop which diagnosed completely flat feet and provided me with running shoes specifically for this problem and this has revolutionized my running no more pain in ankle knee or hip yipee.

Somewhere along the way so called experts have gotten confused about fat burning and intensity- sure you burn a few more fat calories out of the total if you run a little slower- the problem is you end up burning a lot less calories in the same time. Bottom line is to perhaps mix up your tempo a little and go long once a week to stimulate growth of those fat burning enzymes (over 60 minutes).

What's is the best way to burn fat?
A lot of people believe that if you do crunches, you'll lose weight in your stomach, or if you do arm curls, you'll lose your flabby arms. My sister is a personal trainer at a gym, and she says that you can't lose weight in a concentrated area.

You have to do cardiovascular exercise, like running, swimming (which also gains muscle), or the elliptical machines at the gym. As long as you keep your heartrate up for a while, you should burn off calories.

If you do exercises in the weight room, don't be surprised if you might gain weight. Muscle weighs more than fat, so if you lose body fat and gain muscle, you could gain weight on the scale, but look and feel much better.

The best way to burn fat and keep it off is to eat healthy and do cardio at LEAST half an hour a day. I know it sounds like something a doctor would say, but there aren't any real quick fixes to lose weight. Those dexatrim and trimspa stuff doesn't work, it just makes you feel hyper and crappy, don't use them.

Good luck! You'll be burning fat in no time
fat burning... Cheer