I would like to shed a few pounds. I have neglected my appearance and my health. My doctor has warned me to get rid of the excess fat in order to maintain my health. I understand that losing fat has something to do with the calories. How many calories can I burn to get rid of the unwanted fat?

You have to be aware of the fact that in order to lose fat you have to either reduce your calorie intake or increase the number of calories burned. The best way is to do both. Riding bike for an hour or hour and a half a day can help you burn many calories and trim off unwanted fat. You can speed up the process by reducing your calorie intake by 200-300 a day.