PLEASE READ THE WHOLE QUESTION! :-) Thanks.

Okay, i'm 13, 5'8, Male. Basically. My Doctors said i would have to eat 3000 to 3500 Calories to gain 1 or 2 pounds in wouldn't(Even though im Anorexic, they said it wouldnt differ). My usual intake is around 1000 Now. But from today i've decided to eat 1200 Calories a day for a week, then increase it to 1400 Calories and so fourth. The doctors said i wouldnt gain weight, i'd probably loose more. But im going to try to maintain my weight for a week, so what shall i do? How many calories shall i eat to maintain my weight for a week etc? Thank you. So basically i wont gain weight eating the casual amount anyone else eats, but i'm going to try to maintain my weight for a week (To stay at what i am) So how much calories should i eat to maintain my weight this week so i dont loose any more weight? Thank you!
(P.S.) My BMR is 1600 to 1800.
22 minutes ago - 4 days left to answer

Hi there,

I worry about the same thing. I was anorexic 5 years ago and apparently relapsed in the last month, as soon as I tried to lose weight again. I'm terrified every day that once I get to a weight I could be okay with I'll gain it all back. I'm planning on doing about what you said, slowly increasing my calories until I get to a healthy range. I know my metabolism is messed up from the amount I'm eating. No one understands when I say eating 1300 calories a day would make me gain weight, they think I'm nuts. But after eating 1000 or less for so long my body has started burning less. Exercise would help too, although you should slowly decrease that as well. Basically I'm planning something like upping my calories by 100 every other week and decreasing my exercise by 100 cals on the weeks I don't increase consumed calories. That way I can be less dependent on exercise and increase my calories at the same time. It'll take a while though, months possibly. I doubt I (or you) will lose any weight on this system though because we're still having a caloric net higher than our normal.

I hope that helps! Good luck!

You are in a tough spot with an eating disorder, but I will try to do my best to give you some good advice. Any time you go from eating a small amount of calories, to a large amount of calories you are going to add some additional weight- it's the nature of the beast. Some things you can do to counteract that weight gain is to do some exercising to offset the difference. Typically, when you are trying to achieve weight maintenance you want to weight train to maintain lean body mass that will burn calories for you at rest. Since you are anorexic I imagine that your lean body mass is not that great. If you are going to gradually increase your caloric intake, then I would also gradually increase your physical activity. One other thing to note is that you can also create a calorie deficit by eating more calories. The more you intake, the more your body has to work to burn it off which is why your doctors told you that eating up to 3500 calories a day will only result in a minimal gain. In the grand scheme of things if you stay away from refined carbohydrates, and limit your intake of fruit, in my personal experience I have found you can throw the calorie number out the window and you can eat all of the healthy protein and healthy fat you want with little to no weight gain. I hope this helps.