I want to know what the best foods for lowering cholesterol are. I need to protect my heart and lower my cholesterol as soon as it is possible. I am on meds now, but I don’t want to be on them for the rest of my life. Thanks.

The first step for a heart-healthy diet is to reduce your intake of bad fats, also oatmeal and oat bran reduces your low-density lipoprotein (LDL), the "bad" cholesterol, found in such foods as kidney beans, brussels sprouts, apples, pears, psyllium, barley and prunes. Walnuts, almonds, fish and omega-3 fatty acids, foods fortified with plant sterols or stanols and soy are very beneficial in process of lowering cholesterol.

Hello carne, 

If your cholesterol levels are already high, medications definitely are necessary to lower the cholesterol levels as soon as possible. But, even while on medications, you need to start making dietary changes so that this effect happens sooner and that it remains permanent.
As garnette said, you have to aim for the diet that cuts down on foods that are harmfull to your heart and blood vessels. This means you have to cut down drastically on eating fast food, food that has high continent of fats – especially fried foods (they contribute most to bad cholesterol) and change them with low gat meats, fruits, vegetables and grains. And omega-3 supplement might be beneficial, even though omega-3 fatty acids are also found in fish.