Has anyone out there had problems with burning sensations in their arms and neck since their spinal fusion surgery? I was wondering if this will subside eventually, and could this have anything to do with the nerves trying to repair themselves. You know it is frightening to think that this will never stop, I had such high hopes. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem? I take Neurontin and Darvoset and occasionally a muscle relaxer, but the burning does not stop in my arms. Does anyone know what will help? and should I get another MRI to determine if something else is wrong? Going to the Doc on Tuesday hopefully I will get some answers.

This is a reply to a post that is a year old now.

None of the meds have done anything for me to stop the burning in my arms - going on 4 years now.

For some it stops for the other lucky ones among us I guess we just live day to day hoping it will.

As far a MRI's go, they won't "See" the nerves that are burning... only damage to structures. So it may or may not help.

There are special nerve scans, but I'm not convinced they can "See" enough to make a diagnosis either.

I am not sure whether this may or nor may not help with your burning sensation, but it did with mine. I suffered terribly from the same due to a neck and lower back injury. I was given every prescription under the sun that didn't help or the side effects were worse than the benefits. I went to a compounding pharmacy and talked with a holistic practitioner, who ask me to try a supplement called alpha lipoic acid. I did and within a ocuple of weeks all the burning except for my feet have gone away. My primary pu t me on Metanx for that and then that disappeared too. How I know it worked for me is I had to go off of my supplements to bad stomach problems and a bad gallbladder surgery. All the burning sensations came back. I am now back on the about mentioned (about 1 week) and have already seen a small change. I don't plan on going off of these again unless it is between life and death. The burning sensation is a horrible feeling and I don't wish it on anyone. Hope you are better soon.

you said that you had to go to a compounding pharmacy?? what was the dose if compounded and does it require a prescription?? also if it is purchased over the counter what was the MG dose...or did it have to be made up first..

I have had burning sensation for the past 2 years since I had a double mastectomy.. under the arm and in the breast from the brachial nerve damage.. I also have type II diabetes and have read that ALA can also help with the burning in toes and hands??

I hope it does not take a year for some one to respond to this post.. it has already been the worst 2 years of my life..

My Mother is experiencing the same burning in her arms her is her complete story so far
Hi my mom was in a major car accicdent and flipped the truck on its top and laid there pinned for nearly 2 hours while the team of fantastic people cut her out. She was then airlifted to nearest hospital. She had fractured upper vertabrae in neck and had fusion done with donor bone (don't know exact name because neuro surge thought obviously it was not nessescary to tell us or my mom anything) could never get any real answers and untill i read this post i wasn't even aware there was a specific name for it..ignorant of me i guess..but it was just so scary that i was just concerned about caring for my mom through all of the pain and discomfort. She is in Miami J Collar with the extended chest and back brace for fractures in back between shoulder blades. She went to the hospital on monday and had to wait till following wednesday to get surgery . That was an awful time for her she was in intense pain with numbness and tingling in both arms. She said that it felt like her bones were trying to break themselves in her arms. I want to know if Lortab is a sufficent pain reliever for this much pain? That is all they would give her before sugery and NOW finally the surgery is over ( this is second day actullay) still she is in so much pain,discomfort and unable to sleep for days now, all this with multiple panic attacks..We have asked for something for all of this, anything at all to relieve some pain and the Dr. said Lortab was all he could prescribe..lol..this is unbelievable to me.also he would not give her a muscle relaxer, sleeping aid, anti-anxiety..nothing..it is so hard to watch my mom like this..I f anyone knows anything i could do PLEASE PLEASE WRITE...
Thank you so much

I'm responding because your post is so recent. Most doctors can be so unsympathetic about such pain and in various ways make you feel like either its all in your head and not real or you should be handling it better. I have had chronic pain for 13 years after cervical spine surgery and was not able to manage my life well until I was referred to a pain management specialist who will know the right medications (or will find them after some trial and error) for your mom. I would recommend finding one as soon as possible for your mother. You need one with a broad background and education (not just an anesthesiologist). Good luck

Surgery was 2/25, have yet to find anything to help with the burning/razor blades/numbness in his left hand/arm. Tried to give him the new stuff for firbromyalgia, turned him into such a jackass I told him to either stop the meds or get a divorce. On Neurontin now, with Ultram, no help. Had an EMG done a couple weeks ago, thinking maybe it was carpral tunnel...nope. we'll get the full report on the EMG on 12/1, until then, he just has to deal with it.

I am SHOCKED!!! My husband was also in a bad car accident. He hit a tree head on at 60mph. He was put on methadone, dilaudid, valium, extra meds when he had to be moved plus diabetic neropathy pain meds. We live in northern Virginia. Where do you live? He is now (3 yrs later) still on several strong pain meds plus his neuropathy meds. He sees a pain specialist now but his surgeon prescribed the meds before. You have every right to sue the so-called doctor who treated your mother for putting her through needless pain and suffering. There is absolutely no excuse when a person has an obvious need, to not prescribe an appropiate level of pain medication. The fact she was unabe to sleep would have made it obvious to anyone she wasn't getting any pain relief. I feel so sorry for you and especially her. To be at the mercy of a doctor like that is the scariest thing imaginable to me. I hope and pray she is better and has a new doctor. I would most certainly contact a malpractice attorney. Good luck to you both....

The lady whose Mom couldn't get proper pain management, should hace fired that doctor on the spot. People in our society over the age of 30 (? guestimate) were brought up with a certain respect for doctors that you did not question and many do not ask questions feeling you should not question a doctor.

I have had 3 spinal cord surgeries, been to many facilities across the US attempting to solve the problem of nerve pain among other issues. I found for about a year and a half that Lyrica helped to keep the burning in my arms under control, but have found over the last 6 months breakthrough pain and just this week had almost no pain relief. I hated Neurontin and don't recommend it to anyone, it made me want to kill myself and made me unlivable with family members. I am now searching for surgical intervention to help stop the progression which has moved into my chest/breast area making it had to wear clothing.

If anyone has any experience with a syrinx please let me know!

I have had so much pain before and after surgery and experience so much burning as well. I would like to call you to talk to you about the supplements that you take. Thank you. Cheryl.

I too recently had a fusion of my L4-L5 and two months after the surgery I have this burning sensation on the palms of my hands. It started on my right hand and now includes my left hand. Combined with the burning sensation, I have spasms in my back about midway up the back (about 2-3 inches above the surgery site. Is it common to have more back issues after your surgery than before your surgery? I had no left leg pain before the surgery and now I have left leg pain as well as numbness in my right foot and my right ankle feels like it was scalded. It really sucks because the palms of my hands feel like I just pulled them out of boiling water.