Hey everyone.

My cousin from Australia is having a lot of health problems. When her husband died in a car accident, she had her first heart attack. After that her life and life of her children is really bad. She is in the hospitals very often and she is literally fighting for her life. She called me today and told me that she needs to go to the surgery. Well, to cut long story short, she needs to have surgery for dilated aortic arch.

I really don’t know anyone who had this surgery so I hope that you can tell me how dangerous it can be? Thank you.

Hi MakeMeCoffee,

That lady seems to have a lot of problems following her around, I'm so sorry for your cousin's situation.

I have to tell you that this condition is very dangerous if it is not treated. Actually, death is a certain thing if this is left untreated. Keep in mind that elective surgery of the ascending aorta is much safer than emergency intervention (mortality 4.3%).

There are a lot of techniques used for this matter but usually the mortality rate is around 5% or less. There some other things which could contribute to the risk of the surgery, like medical history and similar.

Hi you two,

This is one of those conditions which are really, really dangerous and are life-threatening if they are not treated. Even when treated, there is a chance that you will end up lying dead on operating table.

It is true that there are different surgery techniques for this matter. Choice of surgical technique depends on the location of the aneurysm, the distal extent of aortic involvement, underlying pathology, life expectancy of the patient, and desired anticoagulation status. 

The two types of aneurysm require different surgical management. The supravalvular aneurysm is treated by a simple supracoronary tube graft, and the aortic root aneurysm involves the coronary ostia which need to be reimplanted as well as the aortic valve which needs to be spared or replaced.

Hi everyone,

There are two types of surgeries for this matter, like Stradivarius wrote, but there is always a chance for this procedure to fail. It wouldn't be a doctor's fault (probably), it's just the fact that this condition is very dangerous and the surgery itself is risky.

Now, leaving this untreated is not an option either. Leaving this untreated leads to an almost certain death, so I believe that everyone would choose to undergo surgery where the chances of this procedure to fail are around 5%, like somebody already wrote above.

Your cousin should give it a try and hope for the best.

Hi guys,

I think my grandma had this condition, but I am not quite sure. I remember people talking about her condition, I think they were talking about dilated aortic arch. I remember that she had to undergo surgery as well and I remember that everyone was saying how the procedure was a success and how my grandma is going to get better now.

And she did, she died about 10 years later of old age. Whatever you say about the odds of this procedure not ending in a good way, I know that my grandma was pretty old when she had this surgery and everything turned out fine.

Hello everyone.

I am not so sure but I know that sometimes this surgery is not really necessary. Now, I believe that in this case the situation is very complicated.

Remember, every surgery that is connected with heart can be complicated and it can be very dangerous. This surgery is usually performed in the diameter of the aorta reaches more than 5.5 cm, but that usually depends on person’s height.

It needs to be treated in a proper way. If it is not treated it can lead to the worst thing – death.

Surgery is dangerous but I believe that in this case it is really necessary.

Good day everyone. Doctors need to perform this surgery on her because her situation is very complicated. Dilated aortic arch can be very, VERY complicated if you don’t treat it on time. Or if you don’t treat it at all like one of my good friends did. Doctor suggested him to go to the surgery but he didn’t want because he was very scared of the surgery and anesthesia. I don’t need to tell you that he died very soon. Yes, it is complicated and dangerous surgery but it is necessary in a lot of cases. Don't avoid it please.

Hey there.

Everyone told you something that I have to agree about – it is dangerous.

If aortic aneurysm has the enlargement of the aorta, I am pretty sure that this usually leads to the dilated aortic arch. Usually, there are no symptoms except when ruptured. You can have some abdominal pain or even leg pain, but how many people are paying attention to it?

I am really sorry because I need to tell you this but my neighbor died from it even if she was treating it as soon as she found out that she is having problems with it.