Hi, two months ago I had my wisdom tooth removed. After the surgery, I felt very strange. The doctor said that the numbness of the lips was due to anesthesia and that the sensation would come back very soon. However, this didn't happen and when I got home I also started to feel sharp pain on my left side. The doctor said that I might have suffered a nerve injury during the surgery. He also said that the pain will go away in time spontaneously. But I can't sleep because of it. Do you know is there some kind of treatment for nerve injury that would help me with the pain?

Hi, nerve injury due to wisdom teeth removal is not very common, but unfortunately, it can happen. It was not your dentist's intention to injure your nerve and cause you pain. The injury was probably caused by the anesthesia injection that hurt the nerve or by the process of tooth extraction. There are actually three types of nerve injuries. They are classified by the level of damage done to the nerve. Based on this damage the symptoms appear. Pain and numbness are some of them. It is true that most of these symptoms usually go away on their own in six to eight weeks, but in some of the cases professional help is needed. I suggest that you talk to your dentist again and ask him to recommend you a good surgeon who will assess the damage of the nerve and determine if the injury has to be treated surgically. Besides the surgery pain killers and nerve block injection might help. I am sure that a good oral surgeon will decide on the best course of treatment in your case.