Hello guys. I was chatting with my friend a couple of hours ago. We were talking about my current stage and my current health situation, and she told me that I really need to do something to get rid of my depression. And I am aware of this, but the worse thing is that I don't have an idea what can be the exact cause of my depression. She mentioned to me that she have heard that hormonal imbalance can be one of the reasons. I was wondering is that true? How to check if your depression is caused by hormonal imbalance?

Tnx!

Good day there 62Rafferty62. It is very simple, by doing hormonal test.

But if you are not ready for the test, there are some signs that can help you determine are you dealing with depression and is this depression caused by hormonal imbalance.

If you are gaining or losing your weight very often, that means that you are dealing with hormonal imbalances and that something is not OK with your body.

Other thing – if you have low libido, that can be one of the sign as well.

Fatigue is also a sing as well as depression is and insomnia.  Those are a signs that can be worrying. 

Hey Rafferty,

It is true. Levels of certain hormones, such as those produced by the thyroid gland, can be factors in depression. In addition, some symptoms of depression are associated with thyroid conditions. The same is true about conditions related to the menstrual cycle, such as premenstrual syndrome (PMS), perimenopause, and menopause.

Because there is this connection between depression symptoms and other medical conditions, blood tests are often ordered to avoid a misdiagnosis. It is important to note that you can have both depression and thyroid conditions at the same time. It is also possible to have depression and menstruation-related symptoms.

You can just do the test and know it for sure then. I mean, if you just look at your symptoms, you can easily be wrong about having hormonal imbalance and instead have some other condition, making you use the wrong treatment.

I know of three different tests which can determine if you have hormonal imbalance. These are Saliva Testing (it has been shown that saliva testing is the most accurate measurement of the body’s availability of the hormones Cortisol, DHEA, Estrogen, Progesterone, and Testosterone), Serum or Blood Testing (Many women whose serum test results are normal cannot understand why they continue to experience the symptoms of hormone imbalance), and Follicle-Stimulating Hormone (FSH) Testing.

Other than the tests that you can do in the hospital, you can find all kind of online tests which can help you determine whether or not you have hormonal imbalance. There are going to be questions asking you about your symptoms and how are you feeling and stuff like that, and based on your answers, they are going to make a diagnose for you. 

However, if you don't know how exactly are you feeling and you are unsure about the symptoms that you are having, than this test is hard to be precise, and in that case I would suggest doing a test in the hospital.

Well, if she told you that just like that, it doesn't necessarily have to mean that you are suffering from hormonal imbalance. I mean, it can surely be the cause of depression but since you aren't having any symptoms which could actually show that you are suffering from hormonal imbalance, then I don't think that you have it.  One of the most common symptoms is a persistent weight gain, as well as belly fat and loss of muscle mass, and low libido. If you noticed yourself having any of these, it could mean that you have hormonal imbalance, but regarding how you wrote it above, I doubt it.

Right that's great

I understand that

Hey guys. Thank you for trying to help me. But those days I feel really bad, insecure and I really don't want to go to check my hormones. I was wondering can I do this at home, with some home tests, I don't know what exactly. 

I am not at the vacation and I really don't want to go nowhere because it's driving me crazy. According to some symptoms that I have, I think that I do have problems with hormonal imbalance. Those symptoms are - I am very sleepy, I don't have a will to do anything etc. Is this because of the hormonal imbalance? 

Hello there. Well, no home test or anything similar that you can do or try to do can help you to see are you dealing with hormonal imbalance or not. You need to let someone who is an expert to do this test. I had problems as you do, so I went to see my doctor and guess what - I needed to do some really boring and annoying tests in the hospital. I did a bunch of test for like three days. And guess what, they were the only good thing that happened to me. They determine that I do have hormonal imbalance and that was the reason of my constant depression.