Hey everyone. I hope that you can help me. I was always healthy, I never had even the flu. I believe that this is telling enough about me and how healthy I was. But lately something really bad is going on with me. I am 44 years old, still not married and I hate my job. Even my dog run away from me a couple of months ago. Those situations caused the depression. It is not "deep" depression, but I am scared for my health. I have this sharp pain in my chest and I was reading that this could be a sign of heart attack. Heart attack like symptoms, can they be caused by depression?

Hi Penny,

When people are stressed, anxious or feeling down, they’re not apt to make the healthy choice because they’re so overwhelmed by their situation. A person’s mental health, in terms of their general health, is underestimated. Depression is reported in an estimated 1 in 10 of Americans ages 18 and older, and the figure can be as high as 33 percent for heart attack patients. But just feeling down can lead to changes that can affect your health, and not just because you may fall into habits that are bad for your hearth. You need to be happy, it's good for your mental and general health.

Hi you two,

That's kind of easy to say Alan, "you need to be happy", everyone needs to be happy but sometimes it is not that easy.

When I had my divorce, with all the trouble in the court and with the kids, I was really, really down, and I also had heart attack like symptoms. I went to talk to my doctor and he told me that it is definitely caused by my mood and that these symptoms will go away as soon as I get in a better mood and he was right. As soon as I was feeling better mentally, I started feeling better physically. 

Hello everyone. It is totally true. Guys, just try to put yourself in someone's position, someone who is depressed and who in that case can't make its own decisions. This all can lead to bigger depression and that depression can lead to something that is even worse than it - it can lead to heart problems and even to heart attack. I know one lady who was really stressed out for no reason. She had almost everything in her life but she believed that she is unhappy and she was sitting in her house doing nothing. Well, she got silent heart attack. It is possible and people who are depressed need medical help.

Yes, it is possible that depression can be one of the triggers of the heart attack. There are a few causes for that. For example, there are some pretty obvious reason why people who are depressed have bigger chances to have heart attack. Here is why, in case if you didn’t know. Depressed people are more likely to smoke or to drink because they are unhappy and they don’t exercise at all. They are in their own homes, alone, crying about their lives. Also, they won’t take any heart medicines if they already suffer from some heart disease. Depression is a silent killer. 

Hey good people. Yes, I was pretty aware of this but I was hoping that this is not so dangerous. Now I can see that it is. It is totally true - I am avoiding some medications that I should use, and I know that this is not a good thing. Also, I never was smoking the cigarettes but now I do. And this all started to happen when the depression started. I really don't have anyone who can help me, because I avoid all my friends for a couple of months and I think that they have abandoned me totally. I don't know how to fight against depression and I am alone.

Hi everyone,

Well, depression can lead to both having heart attack symptoms and developing some sort of a heart disease.

You see, when you are down and depressed, you aren't taking proper care of yourself. You live completely unhealthy, depressed people are probably the unhealthier people on this planet. Therefore, you are not only prone to having heart diseases, but to developing all kinds of diseases and conditions. And it definitely isn't easy to live with depression, I know, been there, done that. You need to snap out of it and get your life to normal, I know it isn't easy.

Depression is the hardest of all conditions. I never had any experience with it but I know that this is a fact. A lot of famous people committed suicides because they were depressed and sadly, these people didn't even show that they were depressed. Look at Robin Williams, he was my idol, he still is, one of the best and most positive actors and he committed suicide due to his state of mind, he was suffering from depression.

It can definitely do a lot of harm to your body and your heart and you need to turn things around for yourself.

I agree with you Health - n -joy! There is nothing worse than depression. My daughter got seriously sick after being depressed. So many things were on her mind - she couldn't finish the college, her boyfriend dumped her and she started to feel really bad. She didn't want to talk to anyone, she was always at her room and I was suffering a lot about this. One day she was crying so loud and she started to lose her breath and I needed to take her to the doctor urgently. He told me that she was suffering so hard and so loud that she developed tachycardia. He told her to use propranolol. It could be worse definitely. I don't even want to think what would happen if she had heart attack.