Hey guys,

My friend Clarrisa told me that she is very worried for her dog. Two and a half years ago, she lost her dog, because he was very sick, and he didn’t have any symptoms of sickness. He was not feeling bad, he was pretty much fine. But, he died. She never wanted to know why he died and now, she is sorry about this decision.

One of her friends told her that this could be caused by hypothyroidism, and now, her new dog has some symptoms that indicate to hypothyroidism.

I want to know how to diagnose hypothyroidism in dogs? 

Hey there everyone,

It is very common disease in dogs, unfortunately. The thyroid gland has number of different functions, but it is known for its role in regulating metabolism, because it produces thyroid hormones.

Well, it occurs when there are no enough thyroid hormones to produce. You can diagnose it alone, when you observe symptoms, but if you see any symptoms, you should visit the vet.

I know that there are several different tests that vets usually use to diagnose hypothyroidism in dogs, and the best test that you can take will depend on symptoms that your dog is having. 

Good luck!

Hey darling.

Just follow the symptoms, and keep in touch with your vet.

About those tests, I will suggest you to ask your vet about T4 test. It is very simple – a blood sample is drawn and tested by radioimmunoassay to determine the level f T4 hormone, thyroid hormone, of course, that is in your dog bloodstream.

This hormone is produced in thyroid gland and dogs with a failure of thyroid glands.

There are some other tests, of course, but I think that your vet will tell you about this one as well.

Always, but always observe your dog’s behavior! 

Well, this is one really boring and annoying disease.

Besides, it can be really serious, especially if you don’t treat it right.

For the vets, it is really easy to diagnose it, but for you it can be a problem. I am going to give you some tips for this, but if you see that this happens to your dog, please visit the vet.

You can diagnose it with blood test, thyroid test, EKG and X – ray.

I think that blood test is the best, because high blood lipids and high blood cholesterol occur in more than 80 percent of dogs with this disease. And, one more thing that you should know – about half the dogs with this disease have anemia as well.