Hi. I’m in middle ages and I can say that I am in a pretty good health. Few weeks ago I have noticed a constant ringing in my ears and went to see doctors. Doctor told me that it is called tinnitus and that I do not have to worry much about it. What can I do to cure that?

Tinnitus is the sensation of hearing a ringing or whistling sound in one or both ears when no external sound is present. Although there is no cure for tinnitus, scientists and doctors have discovered several treatments that may give you some relief. Tinnitus can be aggravated by loud noises, nicotine, caffeine, tonic water, alcohol and various medications so I suggest you to avoid that if you can. Pleasant noise may also help, so turn the volume lower when you watch television or listen to music. Also, stress can make tinnitus worse, so think also about some relaxation therapy.

My tinnitus has been high Vietnam. During a flight home after the passing of my mother, I set beside a woman with the VA Hospital System. She asked me about Vietnam whether I had tinnitus, and whether I had agent Orange exposure. I responded yes to both. She mentioned that her trip was to inform several VA Hospital Systems about these two findings. She mentioned that there was a treatment. I have not persued the VA.