Hi. Let me start off by telling you my story of marijuana use and tinnitus. I was smoking constantly everyday until January 31st 2009. On January 31st, I smoked possibly some of the best weed out there and I was high for 4 days straight. After the initial 3 hours of the high, I had a moment of clarity where I did not want to smoke anymore because I was REALLY REALLY HIGH. I knew that I had to give it up and I did. After a week, I had symptoms of cannabis withdrawal (sounds crazy I know). Symptoms were insomnia, anxiety, depersonalization, sweating while asleep, vivid dreams and tinnitus. The symptoms dissappeared over a period of 4-5 months. I am completely free of all symptoms except one which is tinnitus. Upto this day I still hear a constant buzzing/ringing sound in my ear. When I was going through the withdrawal phase, I researched if anybody else had tinnitus while going through marijuana withdrawal. And yes. I only found 5 people who wrote in forums that they had tinnitus while withdrawing. I didn't find it that annoying until a week ago. Right now, I have a sinus infection/cold and I was taking solodyn for my acne. And the medication probably aggrevated it. It is now seriously annoying and I can't sleep at all. My question is, has anybody over here had tinnitus while withdrawing from Marijuana and if so did it go away or is it still stuck in your head. Please help. I feel very weak and I pretty much have to stop my social life because of this situation. and don't tell me that i didn't withdraw from marijuana and that it was all in my head. i know what I went through

Yes, you have a sinus infection because of your nasal sinus walls that absorbed the dust from smoking. You need one or two thing(s): antibiotic medicine and an antibiotic gel in your nasal. Unfortunately, it is a serious infection because you could get staph in your blood from your nasal's vessel - the infection that makes your body weak. Your body is starting to loose its defense against staph which is obvious from using too much marijuana. I also recommend you to use a sea salt water sprayer to clean out the sinus walls soon as possible.

If you insist smoking the marijuana, you should use the salt water spray later after smoking just to be safe. But, you really cannot use the pot too much. You also will shrink your testicles later on. Just don't panic about it so you just learn from now on.

dude I am done with weed. last time i smoked was on january 31st 2009. I haven't looked back at it ever since.

Hey I just wanted to say that I experiences SOME tinnitus prior to quitting smoking about 2 months ago. After quitting I got the lovely and common anxiety and depression (which continues to this day) as well as a BIG increase in tinnitus.

It began with getting a feeling of head pressure, and then an ear would pop and I'd get a ringing noise. I don't get that anymore, though I do seem to have a near constant quiet ziiiing going on whenever I'm in a quiet room.

I'm hoping this will go away with time. I remember as a child I used to be able to always know if someone had a TV on in a house because I could hear a quiet buzzing sound that is nearly identical to what I hear now. It went away with time, I assume because I started ignoring it.

Hey though, can you tell me what your experience has been with regards to dreams, anxiety, depression, and mental abilities. Just curious to see if anyone else has experienced long term issues like myself. Although I must admit 2 months isn't THAT long term.

I've had anxiety, recurring dreams about smoking weed, and this annoying "head pressure" and difficult thinking. It's so annoying because it seemed like I was thinking better when I was smoking regularly. This could just be in my head, or could be that after YEARS of smoking too damn much my brain got used to working with the weed, and now it's having to learn to work without it.

Anyways that was kind of a self pitying ramble haha. Take care and good luck with sobriety. I know I'm going to stay away from smoking at least till all traces of life issues and anxiety and such are gone. I think that was my original mistake, I started smoking because I wasn't happy with life. It's a really poor psychological band-aid for a homeschooled introvert though.

Sorry about taking a LONG time to get back to. I totally forgot about this website.

Dreams - Before withdrawal, i had black-and-white dreams. During withdrawal I had very vivid colorful dreams. Right now they are not as vivid and not as colorful as well.

Anxiety- Attacks lasted for 3 months and started fading away in the fourth month. Mainly because I started doing yoga in the fourth month. Haven't had an attack ever since.

Depression - never really was clinically depressed. However I did feel down at times and I remedied that by hanging out with friends and socializing.

Mental Abilities - For the initial 4 weeks, I could not remember anything at all. It was hard for me to tap into my memory. I would forget simple stuff to remember like where I parked my car (before this was piece of cake) but then it started coming back which im glad. I also had difficulty keeping a train of thought. Couldn't think clearly. But yoga sure did help alot.

For me the most annoying part of the withdrawal phase was the Insomnia. I just felt tired all the time. My eyes would hurt like SH*T. If I am sleep deprived for a night, I act like a homocidal maniac. But I got used to it. Insomnia lasted for about 5 months in and somehow my sleep patterns returned very fast.

my advice to you is to workout/yoga.

my workout schedule was:
Monday: Yoga
Tuesday: Yoga
Wednesday: Yoga
Thursday: Run, lift, and sauna
Friday: run, lift and sauna
Sat: run lift and sauna
sun: run lift and sauna

remember sweating a lot will deplete the THC stored in fat.

good luck! hope u feel better soon.

I was hoping to find a board like this. I'v been suffering from tinnitus around three months now. Been really driving me nuts :/ but I'v been getting better at coping with it. Im continuing to try different methods of getting rid of it or at least decreasing it's pitch.

Okay, so almost four months ago I went over to rural New York to work and go to school. One thing I was feeling down about was that I wouldn't be having any access to weed for the whole trip. But I was also determined to make this a sobering up trip. I too for a long period of time was toking on some maddddd dank bud. I was staying baked at least four or five days a week for a few years. The visit to NY actually started well. I was in fact enjoying the sober life. I wasn't smoking too much cigs either. But then three weeks into the visit a faint ringing began. I've gotten this before in humid climates and it was due to wax build-up. Because there was a full feeling as well I assumed it was the same thing and got some wax remover. Used it for a week to no avail. The ringing kept getting worse and worse. Assuming it was sinus pressure from the weather, I began taking sudafed. Days went by and the ringing kept getting worse. Sudafed may have been a bad choice because it has acetaminophen which can cause or worsen T. After the first month passed, my ears where horribly loud. Visited a couple docs and got the usual "Your ears are clear. Its most likely tinnitus. Live with it. It might drive you crazy haha" ***edited by moderator*** ** inappropriate posting**. So it got so bad that I decided to go back home to my dryer, lower altitude climate. Saw an ENT and had an audiology test. No damage to the ear drum or hearing loss. He said my ear may be blocked up by fluid and inflamed. He gave me some prednisolone and said the T should go away after five days or so. Two weeks later no luck. Went and saw him again and he gave me another dose of pills and said sometimes it may take months for the ringing to go away. Took the pills, once again no benefit. Decided it was time for some alternative treatment. Started seeing a chiropractor and drastically changed my diet and for the first time started seeing some results. Though the ringing is still there, its significantly more tolerable and hasn't been getting worse.

So to my conclusion, I want to say that the primary change in my habits when I went to New York was the stop of pot smoking. So far I still haven't smoked pot. I want to express the fact that there were many factors that could have caused my tinnitus. Could be all of the above. My list includes a car Accident a couple months prior. Migraines that I was treating with the max amount of Ibuprofen (acetaminophen) weeks prior and during the T. A lot of neck and back stiffness due to possibly poor posture as well as the accident. Mowing lawns every other day as well as getting a new pair of loud headphones. Barometric pressure change and low cloud level (did notice the T and headaches got worse with cloud cover). Stress and anxiety. Not from lack of weed but from having to ride my bike everywhere, work, and go to school. I was going non-stop everyday. Poor nutrition and poor sleep cycles. Allergies (I was living in a very dusty apartment). Smoking rolling tobacco which I quit when the T got unbearable.

So there's a lot that could have done it but It's interesting that my T showed up and stuck after quitting pot. I think possibly that weed may have been helping with preventing it. Maybe the weed was keeping my ear, nose, and throat nice and dried out. Then Suddenly going to a higher altitude, more allergens, more clouds, and more humidity was a moisture/pressure overload. Interesting that you brought up the vivid dream with smoking in the dreams. I been getting those too! Sorry for the long story of my life post. Hope I helped. Hows the T by the way Woodsy? Im thinking of taking up Yoga myself.

Do any of you suffering from tinnitus also have thyroid problems or low iron and B12? I have been suffering from Tinnitus for almost 4 years now but have the other things as well. Wondering if there are any patterns?

I'm being sh*t serious .I had tinnitus after I lit a firework off ......Loud ringing sound .Didn't stop for about 1month one day in depression from the tinnitus I smoke weed .Which at the time made it even louder .Believe it or not the tinnitus isn't even noticeable anymore .I know that their is still a problem with it .But I can not hear at all ...I'm extremely lucky I escaped this .I would recommend it to anyone with hearing problems .Even for those against the herb , give it a try it could change your life. People have committed suicide from this for goodness sake .Good bless. P.S to Robby if you still around. I suggest you give it one last toke. The problem can be the solution .

woodsy123 wrote:

Hi.
Let me start off by telling you my story of marijuana use and tinnitus. I was smoking constantly everyday until January 31st 2009. On January 31st, I smoked possibly some of the best weed out there and I was high for 4 days straight. After the initial 3 hours of the high, I had a moment of clarity where I did not want to smoke anymore because I was REALLY REALLY HIGH. I knew that I had to give it up and I did. After a week, I had symptoms of cannabis withdrawal (sounds crazy I know). Symptoms were insomnia, anxiety, depersonalization, sweating while asleep, vivid dreams and tinnitus. The symptoms dissappeared over a period of 4-5 months. I am completely free of all symptoms except one which is tinnitus. Upto this day I still hear a constant buzzing/ringing sound in my ear. When I was going through the withdrawal phase, I researched if anybody else had tinnitus while going through marijuana withdrawal. And yes. I only found 5 people who wrote in forums that they had tinnitus while withdrawing. I didn't find it that annoying until a week ago. Right now, I have a sinus infection/cold and I was taking solodyn for my acne. And the medication probably aggrevated it. It is now seriously annoying and I can't sleep at all.

My question is, has anybody over here had tinnitus while withdrawing from Marijuana and if so did it go away or is it still stuck in your head.

Please help. I feel very weak and I pretty much have to stop my social life because of this situation.

and don't tell me that i didn't withdraw from marijuana and that it was all in my head. i know what I went through

I Started to still feel the same for about to days and thenit has been going on for about 1 or 2 months

What Really Causes Tinnitus?
Written by:admin
Written on:April 10, 2010
Comments
Add One
0

Have a ringing, buzzing or hissing sound in your ears? There’s an good chance you have tinnitus. The positive thing about tinnitus is that you don’t have to “just put up with it”. There are numerous ways to treat your tinnitus before it grows worse. It is just a matter of determining the causes and the most effective treatments address how you got tinnitus in the first place.

First of all, find the root cause of the ringing in your ears. Getting a thorough exam by a medical professional is the first course of action to take. Ringing the ears can be an early indicator of several serious conditions and they should be ruled out before you decide you merely have tinnitus.

The causes of tinnitus can be many. Cochlea damage through an impact to the head, illness or noise damage can all contribute to the development of chronic tinnitus. Noise damage can come in the forms of MP3 players (think iPod) turned up too loudly, frequent attendance at music concerts without hearing protection, explosions (such as experienced by soldiers in combat), industrial noises (jack hammers and other construction equipment). All of these can contribute to cause a case of tinnitus.

Another cause of tinnitus of stress. Commonly 1 in 10 tinnitus sufferers will find the ringing or buzzing their ears is simply caused by stress in their lives. In the most serious cases, the hearing loss may be so chronic it can be permanent. The hypothalamus is radically affected by stress, especially when it the stress is long-term. If you notice when you’re undergoing a particularly stressful situation and you find that the ringing of the ears starts, your tinnitus could very well be stress related.

Cochlea damage can occur in many ways. Among them are ear wax removal that was too rough, a side effect from ear or nasal procedures or a closed head injury are just a few of the ways. Sinus infections if left untreated can cause tinnitus. If you are experiencing a ringing in your ears and have not been exposed to loud noises, consider carefully these other factors to see if they apply to your situation.

Tinnitus can also be a side effect. Certain medications or combinations of medications can interact and produce tinnitus in some individuals. Meniere’s Disease commonly causes tinnitus as it is one of the hallmark symptoms of this condition. Meniere’s Disease is a disorder in the inner ear and along with the ringing and buzzing; causes dizziness, vertigo, ear pressure, tinnitus and nausea.

Tinnitus can be caused in a lot of ways. Finding out the factor or factors that caused tinnitus will put you on the road to recovery from tinnitus. If you are experiencing ringing, buzzing or other symptoms of tinnitus, make an appointment with your primary care professional to get a thorough exam to rule out any outside causes for your hearing loss and then you can go forth and control, if not cure your tinnitus.

You don't know what your talking

from my experience there is a link, i smoked a strong joint whilst away one weekend a few years ago, whilst stoned i focussed on the volume and sound of the ringing cicadas, they were loud, I swear to you since that day i have had tinnitus. im sure it was always there before from damaged hearing, but the marijuana seemed to train my mind to focus on it, and since then i have ringing ears constantly.

im wondering if another strong joint and some sound therapy could help refocus my hearing away from the ringing..

Hi Woodsy,

I hope things have improved for you. I smoked pot for decades until recently. The tinnitus started 10 years ago. Since quitting,

my dreams are outrageously vivid and somewhat annoying. When I awake, the tinnitus is sometimes worse but when the stress of the dreaming wears down the tinnitus lessons. I'm convinced that there must be a way to retrain the brain to  greatly reduce the tinnitus. There seems to be a direct link between stress levels and tinnitus intensity. Best of luck and let me know if anything works.

Yes, I got ringing on my ears too and until now the ringing on the ear still not going away after my first month quitting and I will continue my detox and no more MJ!!