Health Advisor
Ringing in ears is in the medical world known as Tinnitus and it is a very common problem. Tinnitus can have many causes including earwax, middle ear infections (otitis media), blood flow irregularities, listening to a very loud music. Chronic stress and anxiety as well as some medications are also very likely to cause ringing in the ears.

Medications that may cause or worsen tinnitus include:

• Anti-inflammatories
• Antibiotics
• Sedatives
• Antidepressants
• Aspirin

It is essential to have any persistent ringing in the ears checked by a doctor, along with undergoing a hearing test.

Besides the already mentioned causes, there could also be other, more serious underlying conditions.

If you hear ringing in just one ear, it is possible you have auditory nerve issues that should be addressed.

Hello Heidy,

First of all thank you so much for posting this information about Tinnitus.  

My grandmother had problems with ear infections and I didn’t know anything about it and most of the internet sites are giving you too much information which is irrelevant. You have written absolutely all that is important and needed to know about Tinnitus.

In my grandmothers case the cause of Tinnitus was constant stress she was going through with my grandfather (he is a gambler). Luckily our doctor was able to determine the cause and find good solution for her. Now she is fine and she is trying to live life without stress or rather to say she doesn’t let most of the stressful things to get to her. And one more great way of dealing with stress is exercising.