Help!!!

I have been suffering from tinnitus. I was anxious before it started, but the constant ringing in my ears is literally making me go crazy and way more anxious than before. It is obvious that if I have any shot of treating my anxiety, the tinnitus has to go away first!

I've read that anxiety sufferers often have tinnitus but beyond that I don't have any clear answers. I'm not really in the right mental state to look for any either, except this way. So please, help! What is the best way to cure tinnitus and ease my anxiety? 

Tinnitus can be caused by a variety of medical conditions, but you are right that it is also associated with anxiety and if you have already been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder, it would certainly seem, at first glance, that it is likely that the two are related in your case. 

If your ringing in the ears is indeed a "side effect" of your anxiety, it is likely that a combination of psychotherapy and antidepressant therapy will ease your symptom. If you are already receiving treatment for your anxiety, simply mention that you are suffering from ringing in the ears. If not, you may want to approach your primary care physician with this issue and also mention that you are suffering from anxiety. This should get you the referral you need. 

I remember reading about this one case of euthanasia due tinnitus. The lady was suffering from it so much that she just didn't want to go on living. I know it might be very difficult to treat but is there not a solution? I have also read that depending on the cause of the tinnitus it is treatable with antidepressants. I don't know if this is the case if the tinnitus is caused by hearing damage, but I know just how much it can affect your quality of life and I really hope you find a solution!

I have tinnitus.

I am not sure if anxiety can CAUSE tinnitus, but although I am not generally an anxious person, I will immediately say that I have noticed that when I am having a stressful day, my tinnitus gets worse. It's not a coincidence as this happens every single time.

What I also know is that the tinnitus itself has a great impact on your mood, so if you were not anxious by nature the tinnitus will give you anxiety. So in that sense, they both build on each other.

I can only advise you to work on stress relief and see if that creates an improvement for you.

I would warmly recommend checking out the website of the American Tinnitus Association. They will help you get a better feel for potential treatments for your tinnitus, ranging from cognitive behavioral therapy to hearing aids, from sound therapy to improving your general wellbeing, and from TMJ treatments to antidepressants.

It is true that there is no proven cure for most tinnitus cases right now but that does not mean the many treatments people try will not help you.

Don't give up!

Well, the best way to cure tinnitus depends on where your tinnitus comes from, doesn't it? It can also be because you have a damaged inner ear, because of repetitive loud noise you have endured during work, or pop concerts or other things. And then it is just damaged hearing and there is not an awful lot you can do about it.

You can learn to deal with it though. Maybe do relaxation techniques, meditation, or something. But if it is due to anxiety I believe that things can be done about it. I think you should talk to a doctor about this.

I see you are linking your tinnitus to your anxiety and considering the fact that they are strongly connected, I can see why. Tinnitus has other causes as well though, including hearing loss for physical or medical reasons, infections, neurological as the result of brain injuries and the like, and even as a side effect of medications!

Even though you already know you are suffering from anxiety, rather than concluding that your tinnitus is caused by that, I think you should see a doctor and investigate what could be behind your tinnitus. You may find there is another cause.

Tinnitus sucks, not least because it is still somewhat of a mystery. What I do know is this: not going to a doctor about your ear ringing is not going to magically make it go away. Seeing a doctor about your tinnitus is only going to give you access to an expert who may not be able to help you, but also might. In other words, you have a higher chance of curing tinnitus and easing the related anxiety if you do get medical help. 

Just say: "I have been suffering from tinnitus and anxiety, what are my options?"

The roller coaster will start there, and who knows? There may be a cure for you depending on the cause of the tinnitus. 

I have heard that anxiety related tinnitus has a good chance of going away once you get therapy and antidepressants, because chances are that you are suffering from a mental issue rather than a physical problem. That does not make tinnitus any less real to you of course. The whole "it's all in the head" thing is rather demeaning. Depression begins in the head and then affects the whole body. So does anxiety. The brain is the most powerful organ so "all in the head" is rather all encompassing, no?

I don't know much about tinnitus other than it's really irritating (I mean, who would like to hear a high pitch sound for ages and ages, that's enough to drive anyone crazy?), but what you say makes sense to me. If you hear it, it's real, whether your brain causes it or hearing damage causes it! Must be horrible to have something which doesn't have a clear (do X, Y will happen) treatment available for it. OP, I hope you find something that works for you and puts a stop to both that tinnitus and your anxiety very soon! Best of luck!