After Chicago, I felt great for about 30 mins. Then I had a problem with what I believe was my blood pressure. My heart rate was around 70-80bpm. But whenever I would stand up, I'd get light headed and have to kneel back down. When I was kneeling, I was fine. After about 45 mins of this, I was fine (although I think laying on the massage table helped speed up my recovery). Any of you experience this and how could I prevent it in the future.

Oh, I should say, this has happened once before.

I'm not sure if it's a blood pressure thing. I'll have to surf some articles later on. The light-headedness is a very common side effect of hard running. I know during times of intense training or racing, I'll get that same thing. Of course, not for 45-min at a time, but you did run a marathon!

Blood pressure cuffs are rather inexpensive.

If you think it BP related a stress test would certainly tell you. Talk to your family physican and see what they say. This might be something you want to keep an eye on

I'm going to pay a little more attention to it. I have only noticed it in the last two races I have done. The first time I noticed it was about 14 hours into a 24hr race. Then this time. Another thought I had last night: could it be sugar related? During the massage, I had a peppermint. Could that have had enough sugar to pick me up?

Ok. Got some more family info just now. It turns out my mother has been diagnosed as a borderline diabetic. My uncle is a diabetic, but his were weight related. My brother has had sugar problems once or twice before.

I'm making the contacts to get in and get a cholesterol/glucose test done by the end of this week. If those come back normal, I will consult a physician and consider the stress test. I will probably see a physician either way to discuss options and all that.

It looks like my 25-miler for this weekend and my 50-miler in 4 weeks are going to be cancelled.

It seems to be pretty common after Ironman and other hard races - it is something we monitor closely on the massage tables and after the massage as they are getting off the table. On the table we elevate the feet to increase the blood flow and post massage encourage the athlete to keep moving a little. I seem to recall it is often something to do with abit of dehydration reducing blood volume causing you to have less blood circulating or it not circulating so easily and so not having enough O2 in your system... of something like that anyway :? .