I was recently diagnosed with diabetes type 2. I'm now worried about my blood sugar levels and blood pressure. I was immediately put on drugs for blood sugar control. I was told I had high blood pressure which I never had before. I don't believe my blood pressure is that high but I'm having difficulty in talking with the doctor. They gave me blood pressure pills. Later on I found that my blood pressure was just slightly elevated. I'm told that my HbA1c test was 6.6 so I'm not sure I needed to be placed on blood sugar drugs. It seems like diet and exercise would be all I need. Because I'm diabetic does that mean I will necessarily have higher blood pressure. Is that a generality that doctors go by? Does anyone known anything about this. Please help. I would like to get off the meds if I can.

What were your blood pressure readings?  You said it was only slightly elevated, but it may be more than you think.  It used to be that 120/80 was an average blood pressure measurement but not any more.  115/70 is the new "norm" in blood pressure readings.  If your blood pressure was anything over this by 5 points or more, it would be considered elevated. The fact that you are diabetic and have hypertension may or may not be related.  If you are overweight, that fact may contribute to both issues.  Losing weight would help lower your blood pressure and your blood glucose levels.  In the meantime, stay on your meds.  If you lose your weight by diet and exercise, the doctor may take you off your medication when your numbers are at more acceptable parameters.  Good luck!

Hopefully you are on a healthy diet and exercise regime and that may be that major factor your blood pressure is good and your sugar levels are okay. If you're having trouble communicating with you doctor, it might be wise to get another doctor. Before you do that, try one more time to express your concerns about blood pressure and diabetic meds to see if he responds to you. Address him/her and point blank ask if you can get off of them and simply use diet and exercise. If you sense a hostile tone and lack of interest, then get another doctor. The doctor is supposed to be there for you and take into consideration how you feel and give you the best diagnosis and prognosis. It doesn't sound like this is the case. See if you can find other diabetics in your area to talk with in person or even on the Internet and find out how well they like their doctor and what their doctor has done for their diabetes. See how well their blood sugar levels are managed. Find out what diets and exercise they are using. This may take a bit of work but certainly is well worth it. You may not need your meds which means you can save a lot of money on that if you don't have insurance. I wish you the best of luck!