I have this problem of clearing of the throat as if there is something in there. I get this feeling a1/2 to 1 hour after I get up in the morning and have this for the rest of the day.It is worse after eating. feels as if something is down there and just won't come up or will come up far enough to swallow, and will be right back again. I don't have a sore throat. It is very agrivating to have this feeling, and having to clear or cough or growl to try relieve the feeling. Hope you can help. I feel foolish going to a doctor with this problem, I feel maybe they will think I am a little mixed up or something. Thanks. Marlene

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed ***

I have this exact thing. I was diagnosed with GERD about 2 months ago and my doctor says that could be the culprit. Do you have acid reflux?

I am constantly clearing my throat from the moment I wake up until I go to bed. My doctor sent me to an allergist. The allergist said it was from acid reflux and gave me a list of things to do to make it go away. None of it has worked. I have had this problem for several years and it is embarassing because people that work with me and friends that spend time with me have made comments about it. Does anyone know what is causing the problem or how I can get rid of this?

You would not believe how many people are experiencing exactly the same thing, including myself. It seems the problem occurs because of stress or is aggravated by stress.
I also went to see a doc and she told me there’s nothing in my throat. I have seen ENT and found nothing again. I was sent home. The problem disappeared soon after but reoccurred a few months after again. It is true that I am stressed due to a lot of work and studying but the second time it occurred, I was stress free.

From what I have read on this forum and other online sources, it seems to be some kind of spasm of the two esophagus’s valves. These valves usually close when food passes by, so it wouldn’t return. The normal contraction of these valves could turn into spasm and this is when we feel the lump in the throat although there aren’t any lumps in there.

I often cough up some mucus when trying to clear the throat from the lump but the lump is still there after I do it.

Some doctors who are aware of the spasms prescribe drugs called muscle relaxants but I didn’t get any because I saw a doc before I realize what it could be. If any of you decides to see a doc, mention this and see what they say! Let us know!

Hi everyone, I have had a problem with clearing my throat ALL THE TIME for as long as I can remember. It is generally worse when I eat, or when I talk a lot. I have been treated with all kinds of things for the past few years including allergy meds, sinus meds, etc. For the last year, I have been taking Nexium, and at first it seemed to help a little bit, but from there things didn't get any better. My doctor increased my dosage to 2 tabs/day for the last couple months, and still no results. My doc told me in the past that my tonsils were very large, and now he thinks that the reason I have been clearing my throat all of the time is because my tonsils are too large and are hitting my epiglottis and my esophagus a little, causing irritation and rubbing a lot back there, especially when I talk a lot. He wants me to get a tonsilectomy, and I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about this. I have heard that this procedure is quite painful as an adult, but the thing I'm worried about is that this procedure won't help my throat clearing. It seems that the Dr. has exhausted all of the other options, and he is just resorting to this surgery hoping that it will do the trick. Has anyone heard of this kind of situation? I am more than willing to go through with the surgery, but I don't want to go through it if this is not a legitimate cause for my throat clearing. Please let me know if you have any opinions or suggestions. Thanks!

I seem to have the exact same problem. I have a post nasal drip sensation about 20 minutes to an hour after I wake up. Often, it becomes a bit less severe throughout the day but reoccurs after I eat. No medicine seems to work. I have been to the doctor for allergy testing and I was told I am allergic to a number of pollens and foods but I happen to know that I have had no allergic reaction to these stimulants in the past - so I do not completely trust the allergy tests. I am beginning to think, to an extent, that the problem is psychological / habit. The last two times I went to the Doctor, my throat was fine during the visit. That being said, sometimes I can not talk unless I clear my throat - though it is hard to cough anything up.

I have been doing research the last couple of weeks and have found similar ailments diagnosed as GERD, stress, habit, or a few others that slip my mind.

Has anyone had any success in correcting the problem?

Thank you.

I have one of the best primary care doctors in the world. I do the same thing a lot. My doctor told me that it is sinus. What happens is that your sinuses are draining back into your throat. She prescribe the sinus medicine called Flounese or you can get a sinus medicine over the counter. You have got to continue to use it. Do not stop because you feel better.

I have had this throat clearing thing for a few years now. It feels as if there is a string of goo stretched across my throat. The clearing only helps for a few seconds. I too have gone through the asthma treatments, allergy treatments and acid reflux. I never had heartburn until taking singulair for allergies which I never really had. Then the reflux medications really made me have heartburn. Throughout all the inhalers and pills, the throat clearing stayed. There are periods of time when the problem is lighter and times when it is much heavier which makes me think it is not habit. On the really bad days I clear my throat so much it makes my throat sore. I am a teacher and talk a lot but when on 2 month vacations the problem does not get better. After the doctor said they thought it was habit I stopped going because I knew they were not going to help me. I don't know what to do about it either.

My son clears his throat constantly and he has had his tonsils removed for 2 years now. I don't think surgery will help. I'm not a dr though. Good luck!!

I have the same problem and I had my tonsils removed as a child. I have been to several doctors and nothing helps and they don't know why. I hope to get it resolved someday, but this has been going on for years now.

i have my tonsils and i am clearing my throat every two seconds as i write, i think mine is a neurological problem, i think my epiglottis is flaccid and everything that's draining down my throat is not directed away from my airway. thoughts?

Guest wrote:

My son, who is 5, had his tonsils out a few months ago. Prior to having his tonsils out, he had a lot of throat clearing, especially during eating. It stopped when he had his tonsils out. But now, it has come back. I don't know if it's related to seasonal allergies, which he has.

I have had the throat clearing problem also. Have tried the Nexium treatment, no help. I am wondering if this problem is not exaggerated by the use of Diovan which I am taking for my blood pressure. I tried the other ACE inhibitors and had even worse "coughing" problems. I stopped taking Diovan for awhile and did seem to get relief but Doctor put me back on it and ever since I have had this feeling that there is something in my throat that needs to come up but just can't raise it. One thing that I have found helpful is breathing steam vapors which usually allows me to bring up some mucus and ease the coughing and throat clearing for awhile.

if you have something in your throat and cannot get it out, i would recommend going to see a doctor about the problem. If you are imbarrassed about that issue, you can try caughing to see if that helps at all.

I have been clearing my throat cosntantly on and off for 17 years now along with intermittent chest pain. Gerd was discussed, treated, stress was discussed, treated, no dice! Its like there is no physician capable of giving me a solution.
Nasal sprays, nasal irrigation, etc, problem persists. I guess if it was a serious ilness it would have killed me by now! But God I hate this! Anybody heard of a solution?