I have outer ear pain, for as long as 6 yrs. It is mostly at night when i go to bed.I'm a right side sleeper, but since this started i've had to which to my left side. Now my left ear hurts. would someone please answer it really is painful :'(

hey.. you may have stumbled upon the answer to your outer ear pain by now but here's what it probably is: related to flare-ups of back pain most especially tailbone pain. sound strange? it would and does.. but i have had numerous flarups of such when sleeping. YES PAINFUL!. come to find out many people have. so i wnet online to research. this guy (_[removed]_) wrote an article stating many have told him they experience thi pain associated with coccyx (tailbone pain). apparently the outer ear is related to the back according to those who study this, such as acupuncturists (killed the spelling probably lol). i never saw the connection but have experienced extreme back pain for years and recently a BAD flare-up of tailbone pain... lo and behold i have also recently had flare-ups of this outer ear thing coinciding with the tailbone pain! im a believer! see article at: http://www.coccyx.org/personal/2002/jon.htm

Kris

My 10 year old son has been having ear pain for a about a year. Similar to I have read. When he wakes up he says his ear hurts, when he is laying down and just if you touch or push on his ear. I have recently taken him to a ENT doctor. Sometimes I get the feeling they don't believe he is having that sort of pain. They are going to do a allergy test on him next week, they said he could be having an allergic reaction of some sort? Does anyone recommend a certain kind of DR? (Chiro)?

I am 43 years old and have started getting ear pain at night. It is only on my right ear. I wake up lying on the right side of my head. My ear is folded over and feels like someone hit me hard in the ear. The pain is intense enough to wake me from a deep sleep. I turn my head to the left side and wait for the throbbing to go down enough to fall back asleep. Some sources say this a Eustachian Tube issue caused by open-mouth breathing. Although lately, I am feeling mild outer ear pain during the day.

I have had a strange sensation in my left ear for six months it felt like a hair was tickling inside to begin with, I have been to dr,s four times but she cant see anything wrong, its now started to ache aroung the shell part of the ear and the feeling of goose bumps its driving me nuts it goes away and comes back throughout the day.its very worrying

I also have significant outer ear pain, followed by blistering in the past few months. It feels like sharp stabbing pains on the helix of the ear and recently I have been experiencing sharp and persistent innner ear pain.
I have been to several doctors including infectious disease specialists, 2 rhematologists and ENTs. They think I might have a rare autoimmune disease called 'Relapsing Polychrondritis'. It feels like a herpes 1 outbreak. Really painful. Does any of the above sound familiar? (I too, experienced pain in my coccyx right before my ear problems started)

This is a matter of pillows. I never had this problem until I went to my boyfriend's house, whose pillows are filled with doll filling or something. Mine at home are perfect. They are firm, so the soft pillow is not filling my ear and pushing against the cartilage. That is all I can think. Firm pillow does the trick. Even feather pillow would be better.

Solved Solved Solved.
To all of people who has the outer ear pain, here is the solution , after long time research I end up with simple method that release the pain.
what Causes this pain?
the Ear is soft and tender, but when the ear lose the tender measurement become bit harder than youfeel pain, normal cartilage or outer ear and nose has softness of 0.5, due the cold weather or different temperature its goes up or down from the mention softness. same when you have sensitive teeth. the ear are very sensitive to the weather, its not bone, but its soft material and connected to the nerves, with me happened when I have shower and go out in cold weather. but its different some time, sometime happened when I don't have shower either. but remember its not the infection at all, its all out ear problem not inside the ear. its become very sensitive and painful to touch. its goes away after 1 nite or 12 hours, bcoz the softness of the ear comes back to the 0.5 ..... anyway let go to the solution and fixed way...

solution number 1: for people who has problem with the pain after shower , you need to message your ear after shower not straight away but after 10-20 mins.

solution number 02: its the best solution when you have pain and you can't sleep , Try moisturize your ear with cream, do not use any chemical cream or oil , just use normal moisturize cream's that you got from pharmacy or supermarket. I am using nivea hand cream
how to apply the cream
- apply the cream gently around your ear. back of the ear and skin around the ear, try also inside the ear as well, but do not enter your ear hole, just outside the ear. moisturize it and make sure that cream cover all your ear, do not apply to much just same as you apply on ur hand. when you apply the cream its going to be very painful. but you need to bear with that for few second till you moister your ear. leave it for 30-45 mins. after that the pains goes away by %90, so you can sleep and rest, also you don't feel pain when you sleep on ear. but after 30-45 mins. why? bcoz the softness of ear comes back to normal and ear recover of softness.

every time I have outer ear pain I do the same, and pains go away by 90% . Try this way I am sure its going to help,
please forward it to people who has outer ear pain. at least some people can sleep in rest with this Trick...
Don't forget say thank you
Antonio from dubai

I have the same thing exactly. Did you find out what it is or what its caused by ? I need help with this. No Dr's listen to me or take it seriously. They look INSIDE my ear and then blow it off .

I too have the same issue. It is so tender that touching it almost has me want to cry. I cant find the answer to why.

* :-| But what I have found to stop it fast is to slowly tug on the ear ever-so gently & hold it a few seconds. After a few seconds try a different dirrection till all pain is gone.

I am suspecting. seeing this helps. somehow the cartlige is dislocating itself. When it is allowed to "pop back into place" then the pinching of some nerve is stopped (blood supply returned?) & the pain goes away in 1-2 min or less.

Interresting about the tail bone pain. I have chronic pain in the lower back/tail bone, but meds take care of it.

I plan on talking to a acupuncturist. They have many times placed needles in the outer ear to help pain elsewhere! (does not hurt. VERY TINY needles!) They claim different spots are associated w/ different body parts. (same w/ feet & hands etc) (weird?)
So there may be a connection. They have placed needles there for my back pain issue!

But that would not explain why tugging on the ear for a few seconds makes it better? (unless like acupressure?)
*I have my money on movement of the cartlige.Almost like a small dislocation. How to "fix"???

>:( I am too frustrated at doctors not listening or dont seem to care. (common w/ allot today!) IT HURTS!
I have tried many different pillows & that does not seem to be the answer. I think I maybe lay hard on it & move around dislocating it.
I am not sure but the tugging works to stop the current pain.

Me too, searing, screaming pain of my ear exterior, on and off, for probably 10 yrs! Drs don't know what to tell me. I've no idea what causes it either, but I know what helps stop it quickly for me is moist heat. Either a 'wheat bag' , not too hot tho, or a very warm wet cloth held against the ear til the pain subsides. Sometimes the 'tragus'[?the little springy part that you push against to plug your ears] even feels puffy and very tender.

Wow Kris Thank You. I have thought I was going crazy with this pain. I never would have associated it with my tailbone pain had I not read your post. I have horrible coccyx pain and have for years. I take very strong opiade pain medications for advanced diabetic neuropathy so I do not always feel other pains. When my ears began to hurt I could not even get the doctor to understand what I meant. He kept asking questions in relation to an inner ear problem and I knew it wasn't that. At least I know that I am not alone with this problem and that makes me feel better already. Thank you again.

Hi, thank you for sharing about the ear pain relating to tail bone pain. Ive had terrible deep low back pain for 2 years (mRI's etc and no answers) and had the outer ear pain as well at night. The ear pain would wake me up and it was excruciating. I would be moaning in my sleep it was so bad. The ear would be folded over too sometimes I think. I'm not sure why, but the ear pain has gone away, but I still have the low back pain. The ear pain comes and goes though. Dr's have not taken it seriously and none seem to have a clue what I'm taking about either. I did have one say it could be related to tmj in the jaw and teeth clenching at night...The last Dr I mentioned it to said, "Well have you tried Ibuprophen ?" :-(

I am a 40 year old female suffering with this same

I have been having severe pain in my left outer ear (aka helix) for about a month. It usually comes at night while watching TV, etc.

I have found that moist heat helps it. Also, pulling on it gently seems to temporarily alleviate the pain, which can be intense.

The discussion about back pain is interesting, because I have been having problems across my shoulders with a lot of muscle tension and tightness with pain in my neck. I wonder if they are related? No coccyx pain, but still...it's very strange.

When trying to research this issue, I can find nothing, other than this discussion panel. It's interesting that there seem to be a fair number of people with the issue, but doctors don't seem to recognize it as a problem.