I want to know how long to bell's palsy recovery? I have this condition for almost 10 days now, and the improvement is only slight. I do not go to work, since I am very embarrassed by my face's condition. As if paralysis was not enough, I have to deal with dry eye as well. Can you answer my question?

It seems to me that you are very angry because this happened to you. You need to understand that you must not be nervous and desperate. I suppose that your doctor have told you his estimations, but they do not have to be always 100 percent accurate. Perhaps, in your case, improvement is somewhat slower, but it will come. I recommend, that instead of being angry, you focus all of your energy to treatments and therapies.

i have bell's palsy right now and i am typing this on my work computer! i agree that the best thing is to have a positive attitude :-) not only am i at work-but i am also in CUSTOMER SERVICE i speak face to face to a hundred people a day. i am on 4 different kinds of pills and have not had any improvement yet (this is only my 6th day) however, i am not going to let it bring me down :-)

To the original poster. None of us asked for this. Grow up, suck it up. It happens and we deal with it. I'm 35 years old. For the past 20 years I've relied upon my ability to communicate clearly in Radio and then later in telephone customer and technical support environments. It is who I am to the very core that I am a storyteller and social person. It tears my heart up that my communication is impaire even temporarily.

I've missed two half days at work because I had doctor's appointments but otherwise I'm still working. I have a lisp which makes plosives and sybilant sounds difficult to pronounce and I have to repeat myself all the time, but I'm alive. I'm not in pain and there is every indication that like 90%+ of all Bell's Palsey patients I will recover fully in a few months.

We deal with the frustrations and we move on. Get back to work and stop using your vanity as an excuse to hide form the world and wallow in self pity you aren't helping anyone. Positivity is the only way to improve. Be positive that the situation sucks, but it will only improve with time. Make use of your time for the things you enjoy and put it out of your mind if you can. It is hard to do, but possible. I'm on day 10 and I have no improvement. It's holiday time and I'll have to explain this over and over again to family and friends. I'm not looking forward to it but I'll survive and so will you.

I am 13 days into it and the symptoms are almost gone. I did not have complete paralysis. My eye was bad the first week so I used a lot of eye drops. After 1 week I was able to close the eye tightly and drink from my coffee cup. Today I can drink from a water bottle, so getting better everyday. I was on steroids the first week and have been taking a lot of B vitamins and getting a lot of rest. I think this has helped.

I've had this for 10 months, and it's hard to have a positive out look after you've had it this long. I've had my moments when I'm really positive and I've had my moments when I've been really down about it. I had complete paralysis and I'm able to close my eye and flare my nostril and raise my eyebrow some as well as regain the taste on the right side of my tongue. The length of time it takes to recover will vary from person to person. From studies and articles I've read some cases last two weeks and others last up to 1 year. It is frustrating, I know but you can't let it affect your daily life. This makes you re evaluate what makes you happy and what determines your happiness. It's been a journey and a life lesson for me. I've learned things about myself from this experience than I have from anything else.

I'm 17 and only 5 days in but for some reason i'm not hugely worried if anything i've learn't a couple of lessons about vanity and the importance of staying healthy...i have my last year at high school ball next Saturday and i'm guessing my face will still be like this wich sucks but its not the end of the world...in the mirror i look completely different but most people hardly notice it (or think i've been to the dentist) so really everyone is there own biggest critic. I have to say it would suck to be stuck like this forever my life has only just begun but i mean there are far worse things that could happen, consider yourself lucky that your complaints are in this online forum not another :-D x

I have had Bell's Palsy for 3 1/2 months now. I am vey very slowly getting better.

Things I would do differently:

1. Take time off work to relax and not stress
2. Start Physio & Myofascial massage straight away after the pain goes
3. Go on a take-home 'pulsing machine'

I started all of these in the 7th - 12th week - but should have started earlier.

Recovery is slow but gradual. I still can't completely close my eye, my eyebrow doesn't raise, and only the tiny tip of my mouth can raise into a smile. I hope to be recovered by Christmas XD

I have bells palsy right now. It was shown last Dec 31 afternoon and i took polynerve night of Dec 31. And started my oral steriod today. Right now I can drink water from glass without spilling unlike before. My mouth dont twitch that much when I talk unlike before. Although when I smile, my left side is still not working. I guess it depends on your will to recover. I always chew gums, try to shut my left eye and always massage my face. My neurologist will be available on Thursday, btw, I got this after giving birth last Dec 29.

I still have bells palsy but I am better. I woke up one morning with bells palsy while in my third trimester carrying twins. I went to the ER and found out that I had bells palsy and HELLP syndrome. So my twins were delieverd that day because I was very sick. I had never heard of bells palsy until then.

My entire left side of my face was droopy, my eye watered and I was unable to close it. I could not smile or hold any liquids in my mouth. I was given steroids and viral meds and slowly saw improvement. I also had to use an eye patch, eye gel and eye drops. They also told me some facial exercise therapies I could do. I will say that I have not done so well working on my exercises for my face. It will be 9 months Feb 24th. I now can control my left eye, smile, and drink liquids. I just recently became able to whistle. My bottom lip still does not curl all the way to the corner, my left eye when I smile big closes smaller now, and I still can't quite pucker my lips. When I get tired I feel that my face droops and is heavy. With twins I can't really get that much rest. I hope it does go away completely. The doctor at first told me usually a couple weeks to six months and then maybe to a year. But the beautiful thing is that I have two healthy twin boys.

I've had Bells Palsey the last two weeks. My treatment of steroids and anti virals is complete and I am taking B12 and Lysine. 2nd appointment with opthomologist this am and he thinks eye is improving with no damage and that treatment of taping shut with ointment at night and eye drops is working.

Face doesn't look a lot different but it seems easier to drink with less of a swollen feeling in mouth/lips. Haven't missed work other than the doctors appointments. Eye was quite irritated first week and difficult to do a lot of reading.

this is for the original poster....I had bell's palsy for a week now,, at work I have to talk to a lot of people , from clercks to police officers,I am a driver, I got this even thougth, I have little to none things to stress me, and I have been very relax,, today is 1 week since I got it, I am not taking any pills, the doctor I visited told me to try to be as relax as possible, on top of that I massage the palm of my hands constantly and the bottom of my feet, specially the left one,, and I have notice after every massage I start getting better,,, it has only been a week and I can already close my eye good enought to when I take showers I dont get soapy water in it. I can now drink from bottles but still have a little difficulty on the large cups, I can whistle some, and if I can move my left cheek just enougth to where if I laught is not even noticible anymore,also I dont like taking showers where the water is too hot, but someone recommended me to use the water as hot as I could with out getting burn of course, ,,, my point is ,recovery time can very,, you might be making it worse for yourself by thinking about it and not going on with you daily normal rutines, just try to relax and do things that you know will make you laught, and happy when you feel happy your nerves system relaxes, ,,, I have even watch the movie batman, and I told me kids I was trying mock the guy "two face" ... be happy , relax, and massage hands and bottom of the feet... good luck with the recovery and go to work...

I have had bell's Palsy for 12 years. I have done everything and tried everything ever suggested to me by every one I know including my doctors. I got bell's palsy when I was 15. I struggled with depression after living 3 months with it, however over time I have come to accept that this is me and I still do my facial exercises everyday. Over time I have seen slight improvements....such as being able to blink and cry from the left eye again. I can drink from a cup without spilling, I can raise my left mouth about 2mm's. I have only seen minor improvements, but still hold out hope that I will oneday wake with complete recovery.

My thoughts and best wishes go out to everyone with this very annoying problem. It will take time to accept this, but try to keep positive....most people get better! Hopefully you are one of them.

XD

I had this for last 2 weeks.
Doctor prescribe steroid & been recovering slowly.
Went to doctor review last night change med to Vitamin pills.
Just have to be patient & hopes for fully recovery in another 3-4 weeks?

I have had bell's palsy for over 18months now, I would say I haven't completely recovered, but I can close my eye, drink water etc.
The only thing I cant do is smile properly and also the effected eye is a lot smaller than the other.

When I first had it I was very quiet and didn't know how to deal with it, but you always have to remain positive and know you can defeat this virus. In terms of recovery, it depends from person to person. I mean right now I can still feel it on my left side of my face, but I know it will fully recover. They say the nerve is damage and takes time to heal, vitamin B is a good source for recovery I've been taking cod liver oil and a lot oranges which helps.

I haven't tried any facial massages as yet, but I will try this and see if this works.

Can anyone recommend any good facial massages or anything else to try?

Thanks