I have had a feeling as if I have got a lump at the back of my throat.I have had this sensation for approx 3 months. It gets worse as the day goes on, I have had anti biotics from my G.P. but these have not taken the sensation away. If i put my finger down my throat it eases for a few seconds. I am very worried about this.Just recently I have been suffering from heart burn. Has anyone reading this had similar to me. Any advice would be gratefully received.
Regards
Moira

Hello everyone.

I always believed that stress is the main cause of a lump in throat. Well, in most cases is, but in my mom's case was something totally different. Of course, that thing that she was dealing with was very rare and in rare cases, the cricopharyngeal muscle or esophageal pathology can cause a lump in the throat. It can happen and of course, your doctor is the only one who can determine it according to several analysis.  Now, this situation usually occurs when the muscle scars, becomes chronically spastic. You can't do anything about this.

You can't heal it alone. The doctor needs to prescribe the treatment for you.

So, if you still didn't go to see and consult your doctor, you should. Three months period is really, really long. 

Hi, I stumbled upon your post doing a search! For the past three to four months, I felt a lump in my throat too. However, it was on and off.

It started with a small lump, but I didn't always feel it there. The only time I felt it was when I felt a sting in my throat. I thought that maybe I had gotten something caught in my throat.

However, when weeks passed and I saw that it wasn't going away, I knew that maybe it was more than just that? The sting would come every now and then, but would become more frequent. Eventually, whenever I would talk, my voice would be cut off forcing me to cough. So I set up and appointment with an ear, nose and throat doctor and they had me in the office within that same week. I had an appointment with him last week where he made me sniff in something that would numb my nose and throat. After it got numb (within 5-7 minutes) he, stuck a tube through my nose and into my throat and looked around. It didn't hurt. He said that he didn't see a lump and diagnosed me with something called Globus, and put me on Nexium. Globus is basically when someone feels a lump in their throat that isn't visible and is caused by acid reflux.

He then had me set up an appointment (which was today) for a throat x-ray to make sure, or to find anything that couldn't be seen with his tools.
They had me do a Barium swallow where I had to swallow this chalky stuff so that the doctor could see what was going on better. I'm waiting for the results, and from what I read, I should get it within the next two days. I hope it's not bad, but when I saw the X-Ray after they snapped it (it showed up on the wall I was facing) I saw something that didn't look like it belong there. Please pray for me. :-(

If I were you, I would not sit around and let whatever it is get worse. I reccommend that you set up an appointment with an ear, nose, and throat doctor to get checked out. If you think it's throat cancer, it has to get treated quickly.

I have recently gotten the same type of feeling. I strongly suggest that you read this article. It describes my symptoms perfectly.

For the past month I have had the feeling of a lump in my throat. I have an appt with a throat specialist but I won't see him until May. I just got done searching the internet and came up with cricopharyngeal spasm.

It is the exact symptoms I am experience. I hope this helps.

Thanks to whomever put the link up above. That was awesome and "nailed" my symptoms.

One more bit of advice to those reading this is to consider coffee as a suspect. I got some Decaf coffee at Starbucks tonight. Even though it is decaf, I have a feeling it had caffeine, because I am having this problem AND I can't sleep. LOL Thanks to the 15 year old working at Starbucks. :-)

I found this searching for what could be wrong! I'm glad i found it. I have been diagnosed with GERD for my whole life. But recently i have been having these symptoms and they get worse and worse. My gastro did a barium swallow and hasnt called me back! and it has been months. Has anyone found anything to relieve this pain?

Thank you, thank you, thank you! That article breakdown truly helped me "relax my mind" a bit where this issue is involved!

So, whoever you are 'mystery guest" THANK YOU for helping assuage some fears for me!

I went to a friends party last night and when i got up this morning at their house i felt likei might have had something stuckin my throat or a lump blocking a small part of my throat but we were also smoking that night and i have been smoking for 2 months now and i was wondering if it could be anything bad or just a feeling that should soon go away?

Thanks

-Dan

I have been going through the same thing with the feeling of a lump and squeezing like I have a tight tie around my neck. Also some jaw pain, headaches, ringing in the ear and a lot of sinus problems. Recently I have gone through surgery to remove my thyroid from cancer and did radiation. I was concern if this was cancer and found another website explaining what this could be and its called "Cricopharyngeal spasm" please look this up you would be surprise. Thank you for all of your comments on this sight..

I read these posts and feel strongly that I had this spasm. I had all the same sensations of those with the spasm. I was concerned when I learned that it would take several weeks or even months for it to go away on its own. Shortly after these symptoms started, my doctor put me on Zofran for intense nausia in my pregnancy. I was thrilled that within 3 days, my throat felt completely normal again. This may just be a fluke, but I know how uncomfortable I was with this condition even for a short period and thought if this helps someone else maybe it is worth sharing.

thank you guest for that link...i had surgery to remove a cyst on my vocal cord and now this so i was getting scared. i didn't even think of calling my ENT doc but now i will...thank you again...

Ever had your goiter or thyroid checked out? I thought mine was a tumor or lump.....really worried about cancer, etc etc but finally got diagnosed with hyperthyroidism with nodules in my throat. Thank goodness they aren't cancerous but still need to be taken out.

You have NO idea the panic I went through and couldn't seem to get a Doctor to tell me that it "wasn't" in my head. Believe it or not....my ob/gyn finally found out what was causing everything (my fatigue, irritability, insomnia, anxiety). The nodules will still need to be removed but the medication that he gave me cleared up about 90% of my symptoms in about two weeks......and I'll be relieved to no longer feel this crazy frog in my throat!!

Hope that this helps :-)

also reflex will cause this....once i started taking reflex pills anti acid, the feeling went away, if i miss a pill it comes back...just figured i would let u all know! I had scope after scope xray after xray, and was reflex...good day all

I had this problem wwith a ball shaped thing in my throat. It doesnt happen often but it just did and i have been burping alot... im only 12 but it feels really wierd and swallowing doesnt help! i was drinking pop and it was ok but once i stopped it felt all wierd.