Hello. I'm 22 year old female and I would like to find out some more information about HPV- human papillomavirus.
Just recently a good friend of mine has told me that she developed some warts on and around her genital genitals or anus.
She is sexually active like me and I become pretty scared. I read somewhere that these warts are caused by human papilloma viruses.
Almost every time I had sex the condom is used but not every time. I have also heard that some people can have this virus in them for years not knowing it. Please tell me, how could I be sure I'm not infected? Any extra information about this would be more then appreciated!

I know some facts about human papilloma viruses because I was writing something about it in my school newspapers.
HPV infection is a very common sexually transmitted disease lately.
It is transmitted by skin-to-skin and genital contact, primarily during vaginal and anal intercourse. Bad thing about this STD is that there is no treatment or cure for HPV. You can have this virus in your self to the rest of your life.
You were right about one thing- most people who have a genital HPV infection do not know they are infected and before papa testing they could never be sure.
If they develop genital warts like your friend a doctor could recommend laser treatment, electrocautery operation, or cryosurgery.
Using condoms may reduce the risk of getting genital warts.