Hi, I was diagnosed with HPV, and I heard that some types could be very dangerous. I would like to know which types of HPV are risky, and which are not risky. How many types are there?

HPV are viruses that infect the skin and mucous membranes. There are more than 100 types of HPV, and some of them cause warts or papillomas. This is how this virus is recognised in most of the cases. Papillomas espacially appear in genital area, beucase HPV is sexually transmitted disease. Some types are risky, and some are less risky. For example, types 16, 18, 31 and 45 cause cervical cancer, type 6 and 11 cuase genital warts, type 1 cause foot warts and type 2 hand warts. Some of these warts don’t need sexual contact to be transmitted, but simple skin-to-skin contact. They are tests that can tell you which type are you. Continue going regularly to gynecological exams, just in case that you have a risky HPV which can lead to something more serious.