My son wants to start training karate. I can let him he will hurt his hands and feet. I look those guys on TV how they break the boards and bricks. He will break the arm, I know, I am his mother, he is too weak. He doesn’t talk to me since I told him he can’t do it. Please tell me more about it. I can stand looking him hurting himself.

Hey listen he won’t heart his hands and feet if the do what his couch tells him. In karate, there are a number of punching and kicking stances. Most of them rely on this same basic idea, that the point of impact is reduced to some small, usually bony area of your hand or foot. The force of your attack is focused on this point too. Karate will strengthen their hands and feet so they can throw these punches and kicks without seriously hurting themselves. It is crucial to practice excellent technique.