Hi, folks. I had some blood pressure problems. My doctor is running some tests and among other things, he ordered renal arteriography. I am not sure why he did this. What does a doc suspects if he orders such a procedure anyway? I would really like to know this. I hope answering this won’t bother you much.

Hello. Mostly the causes of high blood pressure (hypertension) are unknown. That is called essential hypertension. However, there are some cases where the exact cause is known. This is secondary hypertension. Some of the causes can be located in kidneys. This is mostly caused by stenosis of renal artery. Usually renal arteriography is ordered when a doctor wants to see the percentage of narrowing of this artery. X-ray is used here to visualize the change. This procedure can also be used when aneurysm, blood clots or kidney diseases are suspected. Don’t worry! This is a standard procedure, so you needn’t worry.