Hi, I was always wondering how a hypnotist works. Does he really swing a pocket watch in front of the patient's face to induce trance? I have never been to a hypnosis therapist and all the knowledge of this mater I have gained from the movies. The possibility of making people more susceptible to someone's influence intrigues me. Can hypnosis induction techniques be used to hypnotize people without them knowing that they are being hypnotized?

Hi, yes hypnotist can use swinging of the pocket watch to put patient in the state of trance but this practice is abandoned by modern day hypnosis therapists. They prefer much more subtle induction techniques such as guided imagery, counting backwards, eye fixation and breathe control. The guided imagery is the most popular induction technique, but therapists often combine techniques for better results. The goal of the induction process is to put patient into a deeply relaxed state of mind. As for your second question, the answer is yes. Some of the hypnosis induction techniques are used in advertisement industry to make consumers more susceptible to the messages in the commercials.