Hi. I'm 24 year old female and since I can remember I have this problem with uncontrollable crying.
People say for me that I'm maybe to emotive, I don’t know, but it is very hard to change this. On almost every emotional stress I react with crying.
Everything hits me much harder then other people. The thing that hurts me the most is some failure on some exam or similar.
What should I do? I'm so insecure.

Hi, I'm not an expert but I think I could help you with some advices on this mater.
Mane people have this problem you have described.
What is the reason, I don’t know, but I know that this could make difficult some almost everyday situations like braking up with boyfriend or something similar.
I think that people like you have to work on building self esteem. You have to stop feel insecure and worthless.
You didn’t mention were you depressed after crying because severe crying could cause some mild form of depression.

This is very likely hormonal. Are you on birth control? If so, do you find you're more in control while on the blanks?

I am a very confident person and I don't take birth control. I still have this problem. I am associating this as somewhat hormonal because it occurs about a week before I start menstruating. It's not an insecurity, but more of a sensitivity. I'm guessing hormonal or a brain chemical change. Some people are also prone to some vitamin difficiancies. I have yet to pinpoint which I am suffering from. Some expertise would be greatly appreciated here.

I too am extremely sensitive - I always have been. Even as a small child, I would react emotionally and by emotionally, i mean an outburst of tears. I checked my hormones, and all was good. I did find out I had a thyroid condition and hashimoto disease (also a thyroid dysfunction) - I would have your thyroid checked just to make sure. But I still cry. And much like you, it's over silly stuff - simple things. Tests, school work, serious conversations with my boyfriend, fights (which he hates) - but i can't seem to control/stop it. My sister tells me I have a gift - a gift of feeling and loving intensely. Let me know if you find any relief...but do try to embrace your gift...there is some beauty in (which might be peace of mind/denial on my end) feeling deeper than the 'normal' person.

My Endocrinologist also suggested a high protein diet (protein/whey shakes in the a.m.), emotional wellness pills - all natural and not anti-depressants, made by a co. called Pure based in CA I believe - these can be taken periodically and won't mess you up, as well as multi vitamins. I find that when i mind this diet, my outbursts are fewer and further in between.

I am also a super sensitive (crybaby). I embarrass myself all the time. I just came back from my son's school and thought I was going to meet with the teacher and the counselor. When I walked into the room it was filled with 7 people. I freaked out when they asked me to describe my child and his condition... cried like a little girl. I feel foolish. I have tried Happy Camper herbal pills at the Vitamin Shoppe and they work. I should have taken them before I left.

I also suffer tremendously from this problem. I have had uncontrollable bouts of crying since I was very small. It begins for no reason and continues, like a coughing fit, and won't stop until it's ready to.
It is unlikely that there is a known medical reason for this, as I have searched high and low. I do know that unless your symptom came on suddenly and without cause, it is not a symptom of depression, but just a wacky personality trait. This I learned from a doctor.
Unless you do legitimately suffer from chronic depression, it is likely that you are just cursed with this haha
Personally, I find it relaxing. Tears are caused by your body's reaction to an overwhelming amount of emotion or stimulus. Type A personality?

I too have just cried uncontrollably the other day at work. At first I usually start hyperventilating which turns into crying, hiccuping and not being able to talk in full sentences. It has nothing to do with my diet, but more of an emotional outburst when my feelings are hurt. I have been crying like this since I was a child. I would love to learn how to control it but I don't even know what it is. It's very embarassing because it comes and I can't seem to control it at all.

I am glad to have stumbled upon this forum. I was feeling like I was the only person in the world who did this. I really wish someone would provide some helpful advice or tips on how to deal with situations when it feels like you're going to cry or when you start crying. I have always cried like this, for silly reasons, and it just gets more embarrassing with age.

It also seems like a lot of people who are talking about this problem are in their 20s or early 30s. We are well beyond childhood and establishing ourselves in more professional roles where our crying is causing social discomfort. Maybe no one ever taught us how to deal with certain stressers because they figured we were children and would just grow out of it. I would like to hear from someone who did "grow out of it", or overcame uncontrollable crying in their own life.

OMG it is such a relief to see I am not alone. I just walked out of a job that I loved because I had an uncontrolable crying episode. The supervisor had been riding me because other employees were coming to me for assistance,even though i had told them I am not the supervisor. Then she approached me the other day and wanted to know why I didnt give someone an assignment for the day. I told her to make up her mind as she had told me not to a week prior to that. She continued to embarrass me infront of co workers. I started crying uncontrolable and have spells since. I do this often and every time I totally hate myself so much. I feel worthless and just want to hide and not talk to anyone. I have a doctors appt today and I am never going back to work ever again.

I just googled 'uncontrollable crying' and stumbled onto this thread. Today I drove to a therapy appointment (i am in counseling for anxiety and depression) and there was some mix-up and I was not actually scheduled today. My therapist said it was her fault, and I still burst into tears. I have no idea why. These crying spells have crippled me my entire life. I just start crying whenever there is a situation that makes me anxious. It is so humiliating! I always thought that it was just me.. too sensitive, too emotional blah blah blah.. I am thankful to find others with this same affliction.

The strange thing about this to me, is that I can do many things that require emotional strength and confidence. I do presentations at work all the time in front of customers, peers, executives.. I am a singer, I've been a soloist my entire life and done weddings etc. Clearly I am confident enough to get in front of people in a very vulnerable state? It has always been this weird juxtoposition. I am just frustrated because I've been in therapy for almost 4 years and made a lot of progress I think, yet these crying spells continue to plague me. Thank you to you all for sharing your stories.

I'm so relieved to have come across this forum too. I have small crying episodes probably twice a day and longer periods of crying once or twice a week. The smaller episodes can come from anything upsetting, beautiful, or even mundane. If something is moving to me, it's like I can't react in a normal way- but I just get teary-eyed and a little overflow, so it isn't too crippling socially. It's the more intense crying episodes that bother me. Anytime I have a disagreement with my fiance or get really overwhelmed at work, I lose it. I'm starting to think that part of the problem is that my family really never fought growing up- my two brothers and I always got along, and my parents never argued in front of us. We weren't even really punished, because we didn't misbehave. My friends called us the Brady Bunch. Now I'm thinking it might have been better to have some conflict, because I can't handle confrontation and stress. When I say that my fiance and I have disagreements, these are not blow-out fights. They're differences of opinion that should be discussed calmly. He can do that, but I just melt down in tears. This has happened when we're out shopping, when we're at restaurants. I also had a particularly bad episode at work when I was dealing on the phone with an upset client. I held it together while talking to him, but as soon as I hung up I had to leave and just could not stop sobbing. I don't think it's anything like depression, because (despite how this might sound) I'm generally a really happy person. But it's just humiliating how I can't keep it together.

I am a 21 year old female, and since I turned 20 I have also found it much harder to control whether or not I cry. I never used to cry, not during sad movies, not when I was stressed, only over things that were normal to cry about. Now I cry at any sign of my feelings being hurt, especially with my boyfriend, and this is really unsettling for him. I have heard that 20 is an age when women's horomones go crazy in general, and I also started birth control. At first the birth control I was on was orthro tricyclin, which increases the amount of horomones each week for three weeks before the break, and that drove me crazy even when i wasn't stressed, so I switched to orthro cyclin which gives a steady rate of horomones, and that was much better. However I still cry more than I think is necessary, and I'm looking for either mental, medical, or dietary solutions. I'm really glad this blog is here.

im only 16 and i have this problem that you guys are talking about, i think. i dont cry in large sobs or hiccups but i just weep in ridculous situations and it makes me feel like a cry baby, basically. i wish that i could stop it but i really cant and i would like to know if theres any little things i can do at all, im also really glad to know im not the only one that cries when they talk to people abotu normal things

This happens to me too. It's always over stupid things, too, and comes and goes in minutes if not seconds. I had a neurologist appointment today in which the situation came up... the most frustrating part for me is how brief the episodes are. I choke up, the tears come, but aside from that I feel perfectly calm and as a result just angry at the end of it for having a reaction like that in the first place. I'm not insecure, or depressed. It's like my body tries to stop me from saying whatever it is I need to say in normal conversation. Really embarrassing. My neurologist spit out some sort of syndrome name at me today (after an uncalled for demonstration, of course) which I don't remember of course, but it sounds like our kind of extreme reaction to non-extreme things is at least recognized in some medical circles. For the record, I have MS, which is a notorious host to all sorts of random symptoms; all it takes is a lesion in just the right spot on your brain or spinal cord to mess with things. So who knows what the real cause of it is, but I am definitely interested in maybe some herbal supplements or even an antidepressant (I'm not really depressed, and my moods aren't crazy, but maybe there's something out there with something in it that could help).